Conveyor - controls and different systems

C

Clark Southoff

We have to build a motion control system for a scanning system. I must prove and test in Canada ( 110 VAC- 60 Hz then ship to a country with
a different electrical system 205 VAC-50 Hz

The motion control is fairly tight 25.4 mm per second with variable to 8mm per second.
This is speed is monitored by a optical encoder. The load on the conveyor is 100 Kg total.
With a 300 to 1 gear reduction.
I have looked at many speed controls for AC motors but I have not found one that can be used for both electrical systems.
I am entertaining the use of a DC motor and controller, with a "universal" linear power supply with settings from 110 VAC to 205 VAC.
The out-of country application will not have the services of a technician, so the change over must be simple.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Best regards
Clark Southoff
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Why don't you rent a generator. I'm pretty sure you can adjust the frequency output of the generator. I know you can set the voltage within a set range.

I thint that the frequency converter would be ok. If you can not find the ferquence converter for those wide woltage range then put transformer before freq.converter.

Regards Ari

G
I used to work for a custom machine builder that would get some crazy jobs for foreign countries. We would just rent a generator for the system test. I hope that you have enough in the budget for this. Most new VFD’s today can be set up for any incoming voltage/frequency. I would stick with A/C if this equipment is going to a remote area, as the customer will have less maintenance. Siemens Master drives are inexpensive and have good international support.

Good luck with customs paperwork!

M

Michael Griffin

If you are using an AC drive, you could feed it with a transformer for test purposes to get the correct (same as your customer) supply voltage. The frequency shouldn't be a problem as long as the drive accepts both 50 and 60 Hz. This is commonly done with equipment which is built in Canada for export.

--

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

We have just built a system for the USA - we rented a genie. The plus side of this is you can set your timing and speeds before dispatch, so there is no need to do this on site

AC - UK