coriolis flow meter pipe straight run

J

Jerald

we need to install a coriolis flow meter but we are short of straight run for pipe. i know that if you consider vibration effects, a straight run is required. but if you consider pressure variations of the medium, do you require to have a pipe straight run for the coriolis flow meter?

R
You can get away without any straight run but I would try to get a few pipe diameters anyway e.g. 5, just so you get a more even split (I assume you are referring to the bent tube type)
Roy

Definitely you do need straight line upstream the meter for minimum 15d if it is after a concentric reducer, 20d after a bend and 50d after a control valve! You need a straight run of 5d downstream the meter.
An alternative is flow straightener which may reduce the straight run to 10d. It does not need to be complicated. It can be a ferrous plate which you can even make it at the workshop from a blind flange. Just make sure the diameter and the number of holes are correctly selected. Little search with Google will give you the required info. In case you did not manage to, let me know your email and I will forward you the required info.

Good luck,
Hamid

Hamid,

Thanks for the info. May i know what flow meter brand is your reference for this information? Actually a guy from Micromotion told me that their coriolis mass meter requires straight run. But I have a mass meter from Japan that requires no straight run. Does this requirement of pipe straight run differ with the construction of individual brands?

Ideally speaking, mass flow meters - coriollis type do not need any straight runs.

If you go through the manual of a mass flow meter (Emerson for example) it clearly indicates that straight run is not required.

Also, if you are procuring / trying to procure a mass flow meter, i would like to suggest that it would be better to choose a flow meter which can measure dual phase flows. This is very critical most of the times.