Cost of Allen Bradley Control Logix Programming License

G

Gerald Beaudoin

Price varies with features. All depends on what you need. there are stripped down versions that exclude certain features, etc, etc. Best check with the local reps, but do sit down on a comfortable chair when you make the call!

B

Bob Peterson

It varies by the features you want and what processors you want to program. Versions that only handle Compactlogix can be had relatively inexpensively, as can versions that do not feature things that very few places use anyway.

The thing is you only need one license that can be shared among a group of people, since it is very rare that more than one person needs to be using it simultaneously in most cases.

It is not free, but if you have Compactlogix or Contrologix processors you really don't have much of an option for programming them, so it is kind of pointless to worry all that much about the cost after the fact.

In any case, IME the Rockwell software packages are much easier to use then the free or low cost ones that come with lower end products. That can be a huge difference maker in a plant where electricans or instrument techs are using the software on an intermittant basis, and don't use it enough to ever gain much in the way of mastery of the software.

If cost of the software is driving things, AB PLCs are not usually the way to go, despite the cost of the software being a tiny piece of the puzzle, often not even registering as being significant many places.

Your AB distributor is probably the best place to get a quote for Rockwell software.

Worst case, I seem to recall the most expensive package is like $11,000. But I doubt there are all that many people who buy that particular package. I seem to recall there are also packages that are under $1000.

What I can tell you is the distributor in the UK got back to me with a price of £2,652.00 for product id AB9324RLD300ENE which is apparently a STUDIO 5000 STANDARD CD ROM.

No idea what that includes and if a Dongle or License is supplied with it.

> Price varies with features. All depends on what you need.
> there are stripped down versions that exclude certain
> features, etc, etc. Best check with the local reps, but do
>sit down on a comfortable chair when you make the call!

Considering I specified Programming Software for Control Logix I am a little concerned that there is no mention of Control Logix in the part number or title? Shocking all round ....

B

Bob Peterson

the RSLogix Studio 5000 software is mostly the same regardless of what license you buy. The license controls what features are available and what processors it will program.

according to their brochure on such things this package covers:

CompactLogix5370
ControlLogix5500
SoftLogix5800
Compact GuardLogix5300
GuardLogix5500

There is a PDF you can download from this URL that lays out the various options.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/r...5000-logix-designer.page#ordering-information

the pdf is available by clicking on the LOGIX DESIGNER ORDERING INFORMATION button.

Thank for your input Bob, extremely erudite and concise. You obviously know your stuff. Thanks for helping out. I now know exactly the information I need to make a considered evaluation prior to commencing with the purchase requisition.

Much appreciated, you are a star.
Tony H