CSA Equivalent To An ATEX Certification

S

soyxan

Hi,

I am used to ATEX certifications for instruments.

For instance, an instrument is certified following ATEX directive as Ex Ia ... With this code I know that this instrument requires a Barrier as it is designated as "Ia" (Protection Method).

Now I have an instrument that is designated just as "CSA approved for Class II, Div 1 & 2, Groups E,F, and G" (no refernce to ATEX). So I understand that this instrument can be used in a "Class II Div 1&2" zone, but it does not say anything about the "Protection Method", so I don't know if I need to use a Barrier to feed the instrument.

How could I know?

Thanks!

W
No you shouldn¹t need a barrier. But I strongly urge you to request an
ATEX certification, or at least a mapping from CSA to ATEX from the
manufacturer. You could also contact CSA and ask them for the same thing.

Best,

Walt

B

Bob Peterson

The Class and Division means of dealing with classified areas is a
completely different system and generally not compatible with ATEX.

By the way, when using the Class and Division terminology, there is no
zone.

ATEX (or a variant) is normally used in countries using IEC electrical
standards and the Class/Division system used in countries using the US
National Electric Code (or some variant thereof).

So if a supplier just has the CSA certificate which states that his instrument is approved to work in a hazardous location (Class and Division) it should work without any barriers or special configuration, right?

Regarding the Intrinsic Safety (barriers) requierement I saw that some instruments are certified by CSA with a preceding (I.S) or (N.I) before the Class and Division designation, is that equivalent to "Ia" ATEX designation? In other words, an instrument certified by CSA with a preceding (I.S) will need a Intrinsic Safety barrier, right?

B

Bob Peterson

You cannot use equipment listed/certified/identified (or whatever term is used) for use in a Class anything Division anything area in an ATEX classified area unless the device is dual rated, which is possible.

Nothing associated with the class and division system directly corresponds to anything with the ATEX system.

There is a US zone system that appears to correspond to the ATEX zone system, but it has substantial differences. You cannot use US zone listed equipment in an ATEX zone unless it is dual rated for both.