curses MMI and Jaguar MMI

J

Jiri Baum

Hello,

the other night I finally got fed up with the look of plctest -v and quickly put together a primitive curses-based MMI (mmi/curses/vitrine.c).

As yet it only does output, it doesn't do colour or anything else of the many interesting things it ought to do.

If anyone wants to improve it or put in the missing features, feel free - I'll away as of this Friday, so any changes just put them in the CVS and don't wait to ask me. If I come back and find somebody else is maintaining it, I'll be just as happy :)

On the subject of MMI, I think Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr, was planning to connect linuxPLC to Jaguar MMI at some stage. You still around Davis? It's
almost beginning to be time...

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>
"Coffee machine out of paper" (error message missing from Coffee mini-HOWTO)

D

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr

Yep - I'm still alive and kickin' :)

Right now Jaguar MMI is in a hold state while I do some of the work that the company pays me for, and then take a nice week long vacation in the
mountains <GRIN>

Jaguar's status:
Nice drawing package for the development side of things. Basically, it acts a little bit like a very light version of AutoCAD when it comes it's
drawing package - vector drawing based, but more geared towards polylines and filled polygons. The reasoning behind it is to handle one of my pet-peeves - I'm supposed to do REALLY sweet looking MMI systems, things like pseudo-3D
mill representations, etc., but without the aid of a zoom function in Wonderware, or with the aid of the worlds most broken zoom function in RSView 32. While using double-precision floating point numbers takes a bit more memory and sounds like overkill, it's a really nice way of handling some of my pet peeves :) I've also got a second graphics engine that presents a very quick, down and dirty way to develop an MMI from pre-generated objects for those who are into that sort of thing ;-)

Tagname dictionary type stuff is semi-handled. It's inefficient at the moment (no tokenization is done - it's just handled as raw text both on
disk and in memory) but it's in the 'testing' stage so I'm not too unhappy about it at the moment - I'll fix it after I know everything works the way I want.

There's a scripting back-end that's partially done, but, not nearly as well done as it should be. Planning on ripping it out (again) and redoing it.
The scripting back end handles things like changing an object from grey to green when a tag changes value, etc. No tokenization is done here either at the moment.

The big downside to Jaguar MMI at the moment - it's pretty Windows-centric at the moment. While the future plan is platform independence, right now it's only runable on Windows based platforms. I'm hoping to see GB get to the point where it's usable on Linux soon (GB is actually VERY far along!
It's usable, just not for something like this, IMHO), and then I'll start #If'ing my way out of platform dependence. This will be a bit of a
learning process - I've never played with X from the programming side before! The upside is that there isn't a whole lot that I will have to replace when it comes to graphic commands - the Windows polygon drawing API and a couple of others are all that are used, so there wont be too much to fix :)

One of these days I plan on finally setting down and building the Jaguar MMI web pages, and putting up some development shots of Jaguar, file format documentation, etc., etc., etc.

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr
Author, Boulder Panic!, Boulder Panic! 2, Jaguar MMI
President, MidnightRyder.Com

A

Alex Pavloff

One problem with X is that its absolutely frickin-huge. I don't know if you've look at the Microwindows (www.microwindows.org) project, which has a light, cross platform GUI. My companies next project will be using Linux on
a in-house designed single board computer (586 w/8 or 16 megs of flash) and we aren't going to be able to run X, which is why we're looking
Microwindows.

Quite frankly, running the Linux PLC and a small GUI on a touchscreen is something that I think would be a great idea.

M

Midnight Ryder

X is the second target. Microwindows is cool, and so is W - both of them are relatively small and light, but, I'll either have to do some serious work porting them over, or wait until GB is available for both of them (or port GB myself - but I won't have the Bonobo backend to play with then -/ ) The way I'm doing things, I'm allowing for 'reimplementation' in any platform - Jaguar defines a set of 'standards' for an MMI - filetypes, etc., and documents them. Portability is PART of the equation, but, I know what I've done isn't going to be portable to everywhere, but, I'll make it easier for someone to re-implement Jaguar elsewhere, and still be able to use their desktop machine to develop for in embedded solution or single-board PC that's 'underpowered' compared to their desktop machine. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping <GRIN>

Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr
Author, Boulder Panic!, Boulder Panic! 2, Jaguar MMI
President, MidnightRyder.Com