Data from OPC Server -> AB PLC5 or CtrlLogix

D

David Ray

Good morning list,

Can anyone suggest a method (of the shelf) hardware or software that does this:

OPC -----> AB
Server PLC

AB plc = PLC5 or CtrlLogix

OPC Server is on a TCP/IP net And is remote.

I could write a custom app that collects the data and pokes it into the PLC, that's common enough, but no custom apps (if we can help it) for this I'm told.

I was wondering about this

OPC-------> AB ------------> CtrlLgx
Server ProcessLogix PLC

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks,
Dave Ray,
For ICG Ltd.
NZ

Is the PLC5 and contrologix on seperate networks? example DH and ethernet?

There are a few ways to do this but I need a little more information about the networks.

Are you doing anything with the data during the move or are you simply moving raw data between processors?

If the controllers are in the same faciluty and same network you could message between processors.

If you can give me some more information I am sure we can find a solution.

----------------
Eddie
[email protected]
www.webdock.net
Try DataPort data collection - for a free download visit www.webdock.net

RSLinx is an OPC compliant server. For more information on using OPC with Rockwell Software products, visit http://support.automation.rockwell.com.

You may be able to set this up using RSLinx (Pro or Gateway versions). This may be simpler than a custom app. Also check out Kepware... They have drivers for all sorts of communications.

p.c.

<p>Good morning list and sorry list, perhaps I was a bit light on the information.

<p>What I have is this:
<pre>
[Remote PC ]
[Running an un-know SCADA ]
[That SCADA is an OPC Server]
|
|
[ENET - TCP/IP]
|
|
[Local PC ]
[THE MAGIC ANSWER ]
[Soft PLC5 ] <--------[ENET]------> [Our SCADA]
</pre>
<p>We need to get the tag values from the remote OPC server (and hence process) into a PLC 5 so our SCADA, can alarm and display the remote process values and to send set-points from our SCADA back to the OPC server for writing out to the remote process.

What I am after from THE MAGIC is a OPC client that is off the shelf, can be configured to collect various tags from the remote OPC server, and can then poke those values into the SOFT PLC5 (or CtrlLogix or a real PLC5 etc), and can read values from the PLC 5 and send them to the remote OPC server.

<p>Our SCADA can talk to PLC5 and CtrlLogix (but sadly it can not do the OPC speak thing).

<p>The un-know SCADA - I've forgotten its name - but we will have a copy of its TAG DB to setup the OPC client and our SCADA.

<p>Gee, when I write it out like that I'm asking for a lot, but if something can do part of it I'm keen.

<p>PS. I will check out KEPServer - thank you for that.

<p>Thanks<br>
Dave Ray