Data logger with Modbus Communication

P

pravin

We require a data logger with Modbus Comm, Totalizer Option & Printer port. I am not aware and I could not find any of product which will have such features of datalogger for flowmeter required on modbus communication. So my question is whether such products exist in market or we have to go for alternative solution of using an PLC and so.

Regards,
Pravin

We do a slight derivative for a waste water flow meter. The magmeter's 4-20mA signal is totaled by a Honeywell paperless Trendview recorder. The recorder schedules the total to be emailed twice a day to our regulatory affairs clerk.

The paperless recorder also records the flow rate and the total in flash memory for permanent recording. Either or both can be fetched via ethernet comm for printing from a PC.

We considered using either Modbus TCP or Modbus 485 comm options, but we opted against it, because
1) the ethernet was more powerful (email, web browser snapshot, FTP of data files)
2) it would tie up a PC running the HMI software (Modbus master)to collect the data. A failed PC would not collect data needed for regulatory reasons. Recorders are designed to collect data 24-7.

Bud

We have a product that you may want to consider. It is OPC based, hence it is able to communicate with any device with the appropriate OPC Server. With a Modbus OPC server, it would be able to communicate to your flowmeter, acquire the data, generate averages and totals, log to disk, generate reports, display charts, etc. We have an OPC server for modbus and other products that may suit your needs.

You may want to look at our website at:
http://www.cemview.com

The specific product link is the Products CEMView DL - Data Logger

http://www.cemview.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=52

Red Lion Controls has a new line of HMIs (G3 series) with built in data logging capability. It saves the logs to a Compact Flash card. The logs can be accessed several ways. You can connect the G3 to a PC via USB and use it as a removable disk. It also has a built in web server which you can use to access the logs, with any web browser. If the G3's web server is enabled you can also use a program we provide to automatically sync the data from the G3 to a PC on the network.

The G3 has the facility to create custom C-like programs, which you can use to totalize.

The G3 comes standard with 2 RS232 ports, 1 RS485 port, and an Ethernet port, which supports 4 protocols as well as the web server. The 232 and 485 ports can be programmed with any of our many drivers, which include Modbus RTU and Modbus ASCII. We also support Modbus TCP.

You can use one of the 232 ports for a serial printer, or you can use the Ethernet port to print to a printer that supports the LPD protocol.

Feel free to give me a call or send an email and we can discuss your application. 717-767-6511 ext. 6615 or dany at redlion.net

O

Oliver Lorenzo

Hi Bud...
Have you ever connected a trendviews (slaves) in a RS485 Modbus Network? I'm trying to do it... it's really hard...

Please help on this...

Thanks
Oliver

I haven't done Trendview's Modbus, but can probably help. Please contact me directly.

Bud dot buyer1 at juno dot com

J

James DiNanno

Look at the TBOX line of products which offer a data logger and multiple functions - PLC - Telemetry and Internet conectivity with native Modbus comunications supporting Modbus RTU and ASCII modes. Otherdrivers also available.
http://www.tbox.us or feel free to contact me.

Jim DiNanno
Whitmor Company
Tel 781-284-8000