data polling and remote programming?

P

Perico Leon

I have a modbus radio network (ascii, 9600, 7e1) with following hardware:
Master plc->BM85->radio-(....)-radios<-RTUs

I need to connect a laptop with Concept to one port of the BM85 via modems to enable remote programming.
Is it possible...any experience?

Regards

I have a similar setup with the BM85 and a multi-point radio link, and haven't had much luck using using Modsoft Lite across the remote connection to an active RTU, I usually get message similar to "already logged in or logged in on another port". I have had some success programming "inactive" RTU's (ones not being polled by our SCADA) this way, so shutting down your master may allow it (if you are able to do so for a long enough time)

J
<p>Select one of the serial ports on your BM85 to use for programming. Configure that port to be a Master ( or XMaster might work better) and identify the routes it will use.

<p>For example if port 4 is your programming port and port 2 has the radio connected with Modbus slaves at addresses 21, 22, 23 set your routes for port 4 as follows:
<pre>
1: 21 00 02 21 00 00
2: 22 00 02 22 00 00
3: 23 00 02 23 00 00
</pre>
<p>The 1,2,3 is the route index in the routing table, pick whatever indexes you want. 21, 22, 23 are Modbus addresses of routable incoming messages to port 4. The 00 means "stay in the Bridge MUX". The 02 means "go out port 2". The second 21, 22, and 23 is new Modbus address of the outgoing message sent on port 4, no need to change this.

<p>See Modicon document 890 USE 103 00 for details.

<p>jk

P
Dear JK;
I mapped correctly but I see that when I launched Concept I can go hardly online and then I lose connection. I think Concept (online with modbus) tries to get owner of the port but the data polling does not allow it to do that.
Regards

J
The slave Modbus port cannot tell how many different masters are polling it. You are probably getting kicked off because the the radios are not perfect and do not let the slave answer sometimes. When talking through a BM85 Master port, the BM85 will return exception code 02, invalid address range, when this happens. Concept probably thinks the slave has died when it sees this exception and disconnects. If you can plug the radio directly into your PC and get Concept to work, this is the problem.

Try using Silent Master mode on the BM85 port. In this mode, the BM85 should not respond with an exception code, but just let the message timeout instead. Concept will retry. Also, crank your
BM85 network slave port timeout way down from the default. You should have it set to about 30 ( 3 seconds ). Set the Concept timeout at about 3.5 seconds, slightly higher than the BM85 timeout.

(BTW, You don't have to use a BM85 to do this unless you have to get onto Modbus-Plus for some reason. The 174CEV30010 works better in this
application, i.e., sharing a Modbus slave between multiple masters ).

jk