DataBase alternative

V

Vincent QUILLET

Hi all,
Can someone point me a client/server database with very few number of clients (<=3D5) and ODBC compatible.

Interbase seems to be a good product but I never try it.

OS is W NT 4 Workstation.

Thanks and warm regards.
Vincent QUILLET
ASAlog
13320 BOUC BEL AIR
FRANCE
T=E9l : +33(0)4 42 94 06 87
Fax: +33(0)4 42 94 06 88
[email protected]

H

Hullsiek, William

We have been running SQL-Server 7 for 3 years and has been very stable.

MSDE - is a re-packing of SQL-Server. However, I have not played with it extensively.

On the QNX-side, I have used SQL-Anywhere (now part of Sybase). This has very good performance, is very inexpensive.

- Bill Hullsiek

G

Girish Patel

Hi Mr Bill, You are using SQL Server as a database for SCADA software. I am Girish and interested in the speed of the data logging. Can you please guide that which SCADA software you are using and how many tags are you logging at which speed?? I also want to know the maximum duration of the data can be logged simultaneously without purging of the data. Advance Thanks for reply, Girish > We have been running SQL-Server 7 for 3 years and has been very stable. - Bill Hullsiek

H

Hullsiek, William

> You are using SQL Server as a database for SCADA software. > Can you please guide that which SCADA software you are using > and how many tags are you logging at which speed?? We use a MES package called Infolink from Cimnet and then use iFIX as HMI / SCADA Infolink downloads custom bom data down to iFIX for each part we manufacture. iFIX communicates to the PLC setting up the machine based on the custom bom requirements at the end of the cycle, iFIX sends tags up to Infolink, reporting on quality of product, timing, downtime report. Infolink performs the OEE, TPM, Yield calculations in real-time and then sends the data up to SQL-Server 7 for reporting, and tracking. so infolink is modeling the manufacturing process, while iFIX is modeling the machine/equipment. (an erp models the business). This architecture has each workstation filtering data/noise from the machine/equipment. Sort of like an Area Controller in the DCS realm. So the number of tags is relatively small compared to a typical wastewater treatment plant or other continuous process. >From a data perspective, i find a bulk load into a temporary table, then a stored procedure on the SQL-Server side work to process the temporary table works well. A temporary table looks like select * from #tag where the table-name is appended by a # sign. However, this works in a sporadic mode and does not work well for a real-time environment. however, be sure to reference the temporary table only within the stored procedure that creates it otherwise, the stored procedure will re-compile, adding cycles. you might want to try a calling stored procedure directly from your vb-code. Look at the hitchhiker's guide to sql. the t-sql will be pre-compiled and allows you insert data rather quickly. Sorry for the long winded answer..