Databases and AutomationDirect PLCs?

H

Harvey

Currently have a 205 and a 05 series AutomationDirect PLC and a SQL Server 97 database system.

I see there is OPC and polling stuff but the problem is that I would like to be able to get the PLC to control the database instead of the other way around.

Are there an undocumented commands/features in the PLC for database connectivity?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Harvey

Y

Yosef Feigenbaum

Hi Harvey,

You'll have to be more specific. If you want
events in the PLC to trigger tasks in the server you can either write VB code to do this or buy a product such as RS-SQL which allows this kind of stuff.

If you want the PLC to cause more complex things in SQL, forget it. That's not what PLC's are for.

If you want maintainence tasks performed periodically, that functionality is built into SQL-server.

Good luck,

(8{)} ( .)
[email protected]

T

Todd Overmeyer

Harvey,

I have to disagree with the previous poster. There IS a way to do stuff with databases within the PLC. The only catch is that you do need a PC to handle the DB side and the PLC could communicate with the PC with either RS232 port commands or even TCP/IP commands.

I don't know what PLC you're using but there's this product I've been hearing about for AutomationDirect PLCs. It's called DataWorx PLC Pro and I think you can get a demo of it at http://www.inteworx.net

You could also write your own code for db stuff but it can get a little nasty and getting a shrink-wrapped product might be your best approach.

Todd