DC Motor Control Driver Circuit

K

Kim Dae Kwan

Hi, I am currently working on a project for school. My project involves using a microcontroller to start and control 1 DC Motors(1 direction). The DC motors requires high current with 250amps. what type of motor control driver circuit would you recommend. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kim,

Is this 250A peak or continuous and what voltage are we talking? Also are you looking to make this unit yourself, or buy something commercially available?

Regards,

Fred :eek:)

A

Alex Ruderman

I just want to share with the respected Forum my
power components selection experience (rule of thumb) with industrial PWM servo amplifiers.

Usually the inputs are:
- DC bus voltage Udc (maximum accounting for braking shunt regulator);
- continuous motor current Ic (peak current is typically Ip=2Ic allowed for 1s).

To be on the safe side, power switch voltage rating should be 1.3-1.5 Udc (to withstand voltage switching spike due to stray inductance).

Power switch current rating should be 2.5-3.0 Ic (if rated current is specified by manufacturer as DC current that heats die to maximum temperature with case at room temperature).

Advanced H-bridge PWM technique compared with classic unipolar (half-bridge) one implemented by PWM / direction control provides:
- better servo performance (voltage control around 0V);
- more uniform semiconductor losses sharing (may help to solve thermal problems).

-Alex
[email protected]