DC powered water level control

H

hydroguy

I need to control water level in a 3" cylinder of water in a car. I am building a hydrogen system for my car and need to maintain a certain water level in my hydrogenater

B

Bruce Thompson

>I need to control water level in a 3"
>cylinder of water in a car. I am
>building a hydrogen system for my car
>and need to maintain a certain water
>level in my hydrogenater

Please supply a little more information about how the water level is affected, such that it needs to be controlled.

Not to be too flip, but if you put three inches of water in a glass, there is not much you need to do to control the level if you're not doing anything active to change it.

B

bob peterson

Drill a hole in the side of the pipe where you want the level to be maintained at so that it can return to the reservoir thru a piece of tubing. Almost free, and no moving parts.

--
Bob

W

William Hinton

Hydroguy,

Most of the home made systems use a 4" cylinder with 2 to 4" of water under the electrolyzer plates for sludge and 4" of water over the plates for the tiny bubbles to become larger ones as well as 4" of air over the water to keep the 'foam' from leaving the vessel. Photocell type sensors do not do well in that environment but you have a basic design in your toilet tank of a mechanical float-valve that will allow more water to enter when the water level goes down. No wires, no photocell and no problem.

You may also want to look into building a back-flow blast preventer as the hydrogen and oxygen combined gas will burn and can blow up your gas generator. Most of them use a chamber with stainless steel wool near the delivery area to help prevent this problem.

I hope this helps,

William Hinton