DCS Upgradation of Yokogawa CS to CS-3000

M

Mihir Ramkrishna

We are considering the upgradation of our YOKOGAWA Centum CS DCS to CS 3000. Can any one let me know the what are the specific disadvantages of CS-3000 as compared to CS?

My understanding is By changing from CS to 3000 you would not be at any disadvantage, the simple reason is there is absolutely no functional difference between old & new version, only IBM PC & Windows based operator interface.

If you are going to upgrade from CS to CS3000.
Get ready to spend a lot of money. We are upgrading from CS3000 Ver 2.22 using NT platform to Ver 3.4 on Windows XP platform which will set us back about $90,000 for each HIS to upgraded.

Thats just the upgrade from Ver 2.22 to Ver 3.4.

We have 25 HIS stations and 4 Virtual FCS PC's that we do simulation and development with. Ouch!

This will not count the new PC's needed to replace the old PC's because the old PC's will not run Windows XP. Ouch again!

My biggest complants with a Yokogawa system of any kind is that Yokogawa has to many limitation and timing issues.

The bigger the application you try to use with a Yokogawa system means more limitations and timing issues you have. Which also means adding more controllers to be able to process Sebol code fast enough, because Sebol only runs on the idle time of the controller CPU time.

This means that if you want to make sure something gets processed on time, you better be using a states table or a logic chart to do the job. Which oh by the way, you are limited on how may logic charts and states tables you can have.

I don't beleive that a Yokogawa system was ment to be used in a Plant as large as ours, some 10,000 I/O points. This means analog and digital.

Only with our small application in the small Plants we have was a Yokogawa system worth using.
Only some 3,000 to 5,000 I/O points.

One more thing, if you are using thoes junky ACG's that Yokogawa has to bridge your DCS data over to an archiving system, get rid of them and go with OPC servers if you can. OUCH! thats expensive too.

Hope your upgrade to better than ours.