Dead band in remote speed control

Good day all,

I am attempting to remotely control the speed of a motor using an ABB ACS580 VFD and a 10Kohm variable resister. All connections are done according to the manual. I am able to control the speed throught the range when operating from the local screen. However, when am using the 10 Kohm POT to control from the remote mode, i realize a dead band until the pot is adusted to about 65% or 6.5 Kohm. Thereafter adjustments become very sensitive.

The resistance of the pot was check and changes throughout the span. The distannce between the remote site and the VFD is about 75 feet (25 M).
I checked the parameter groups for scaling and speed referencing (Group 12 & 22) They both seems to have been configured correctly.
Can someone assist me to resolve that issue

Good day all,

I am attempting to remotely control the speed of a motor using an ABB ACS580 VFD and a 10Kohm variable resister. All connections are done according to the manual. I am able to control the speed throught the range when operating from the local screen. However, when am using the 10 Kohm POT to control from the remote mode, i realize a dead band until the pot is adusted to about 65% or 6.5 Kohm. Thereafter adjustments become very sensitive.

The resistance of the pot was check and changes throughout the span. The distannce between the remote site and the VFD is about 75 feet (25 M).
I checked the parameter groups for scaling and speed referencing (Group 12 & 22) They both seems to have been configured correctly.
Can someone assist me to resolve that issue
It sounds like you are experiencing a dead band in the remote control of your motor speed using an ABB ACS580 VFD and a 10Kohm variable resistor. The fact that you are able to control the speed through the range when operating from the local screen suggests that there may be an issue with the remote control setup.

One possible cause of the dead band could be the distance between the remote site and the VFD. A distance of 75 feet (25 meters) could cause signal loss or interference, which may result in an inconsistent signal being sent to the VFD.

Another possible cause could be an issue with the scaling and speed referencing parameters (Group 12 and 22). It's good that you have checked these parameter groups and confirmed that they have been configured correctly, but it may be worth double-checking to ensure that there are no mistakes.

If both the distance and the parameter groups are not causing the issue, then it could be an issue with the variable resistor itself. You mentioned that the resistance of the pot changes throughout the span, which may indicate a faulty potentiometer. You may want to try using a different variable resistor to see if that resolves the issue.

If none of these solutions work, it may be worth consulting with an expert or contacting ABB support for further assistance.

Start by checking the input to the drive then check the drive parameters. Use a multimeter to check the voltage across the potentiometer terminals at the VFD and at the potentiometer. The wiring could be incorrect, bad connection, wiper on the potentiometer could be damaged or dirty.