decoding data read from comm port using visual basic

A

Anonymous

hello...

now i'm doing a project in VB to decode the data that is read from comm port... actually all the data that read is from the comm port are string characters that we can't understand, for an example:
(¡†‚„ÆÀçD„%ï!<curren>åƒoä£/û!¡d„¥†d«„„<curren>$€„<curren>cn¨æ…„„҆„‡æ…äçä…†‡ä…Ä„á†ä|………†…å…Ä„Å¥„"&!„)...

i have tried many methods but it not work... so hope u all can help me and provide some source code.

Have you ever tried with binary input mode of commport?
I think all thing can solve in this mode, Just a little more difficult than string mode.

Good luck!

did you mean read the data with binary number from comm port? can give me some hint to write the source code using visual basic? or provide some example source code to me??
thanks for your reply... thanks...

set the input mode for your mscomm port property in your vb code to binary - you may be in text. To test it, ascii convert your text characters to their decimal equivalents (example, lower case "z" is 122 I believe).

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem as you were and was wondering if you had any joy decoding the feed? And If you did can you let me know how you did it? Cheers.

I had the same problem. I realized that my device was actually idle Low rather than high, so I just used a not gate (for TxD, RxD and ready to send pins), and it worked.