Delta V Communicate with AB PLC

K

KJG

What are my choices of communication types if I use an AB SLC or MicroLogix to talk with a Delta V system? Can I just say that the MicroLogix or SLC has DF1 or DH485 and let the Delta V people adapt to that? Thanks.

Here is some info.

AB Micrologix's Port can be configured as a Modbus RTU Slave. DeltaV has a Serial Interface Module, which can be configured for RS232 Modbus Master. You Can communicate using this.

For SLC, you need to buy a Modbus Communication module from Prosoft (AB Encompass Partner). This can be a Panel Mounted type or can fit in SLC rack.

I had read somewhere on Emerson Website, that they have a driver for AB IOs directly, which can make DeltaV Controller communicate with AB IOs, through Serial Interface, Do talk to your Emerson Sales Person about this.

Rgds

Sagar

The Delta V serial card will communicate either DF1 or Modbus. You have to also buy the correct license for the Delta V. We use both the Modbus and DF1 into our Delta V.

MicroLogix will do Modbus directly and DF1. I believe for the SLC to communicate Modbus you would have to buy a speciality Modbus card from ProSoft/ProLinx http://www.prosoft-technology.com.

The modbus will probably have to be converted to RS485 network over cable or fiber depending upon your length between units.

Hope this helps
Mark

E

Eddie Willers

DeltaV does have a DF1 protocol module that is supposed to be suitable for communicating to A-B controllers. It's DF1 protocol only; I don't think it can work with DH-485, even through a converter like the 1747-KE.

I had a lot of trouble three years ago communicating between a DeltaV and a ControlLogix; both companies blamed each other (I tend to blame Emerson because the module was version 0.86) and we ended up with a kludgy network solution. I have not heard of any other similar difficulty using SLC or MicroLogix.