Detect a audio data from microphone in c

K

kandasami raja

i am new to the c field. here i am working in the detecting the audio and then codec by iLBC (internet Low Bit Rate Codec) for the streaming of audio data. so i want a sample program in c to detect the microphone data. anyone plz help me i have to work shortly.

thank you
kandasami raja

K

kandasami raja

hai
i have search that freshmeat. i cant find any related code. can u mention any related site or sample code regarding this. i am working in windows. any one help me

thank you
kandasami raja

C

Curt Wuollet

Working in Windows does limit the amount of free source you might find. Still there are lots of fft "spectrum analyzer" programs around as well as recording software. Simply lift the front end from one of those. You may need a mixer to select the source. I can't help much because I haven't done this in Windows. Aren't you just supposed to buy something?

Regards

cww

K

kandasami raja

hi cww

thank you for ur reply. i am new to c. i checked this fft spectrum analyzer. i dont how much it will help in my program. give some url that has sample code regarding this.

thank you,
kandasami raja

C

Curt Wuollet

Well, that's kinda hard to do considering the difference between operating systems. For example, with Linux I can simply send a file to the soundcard specialfile and it will be played. Like cat mysound > /dev/dsp. And I would expect that I could record at least in a fashion by doing the inverse. So the heavy lifting would be in the driver. But I would expect they would all implement the file interface. On Windows there is no doubt, some service that one expects drivers to adhere to. But, I don't know it, and have no intention of learning it on an OS I loathe. So it is for you to research and see if there is a simple way to do it. There are free and open source recording packages available and you'll probably have to read some code to determine what part you would need or how it's done so you can write some code. With the Linux community I could probably find some sort of HOWTO that describes how to write sound code. In the proprietary world the equivalent is usually an expensive book, but you can try that angle. I did a cursory search for "open source recording software for Windows" on Google and there's a package called Audacity that has versions for Mac and Windows in addition to Linux and that would be a good place to get a look at source for recording for Windows. My guess is that this would be pretty heavy sledding for a beginner, but Windows has a pretty high threshold for entry as there's often only one way to access services.

Regards

cww