Device Level Network Experiences

B

Bob Chatters

What are your experiences, opinions, or recommendations regarding these problems? Please include other similar Device Level Networks in this discussion. I realize that degree of difficulty would depend on the skill level of the Maintenance personnel. Of course that varies widely, but, for the sake of argument, let’s say they are average electrical technicians without many computer skills and they will not receive much training. (please forgive me if I have insulted anybody out there). My company has a very low tolerance for downtime and the technicians must be able to diagnose and correct any problem in 5 to 10 minutes. If the downtime goes any longer than that, there are large monetary losses involved. Can the technician: Find open connections in a trunk line? Replace a device and set its node number using software? Identify and correct duplicate node numbers on the network? Identify and correct excessive voltage drop? Identify and correct devices with incorrect baud rates? Replace scanner modules and reload scan lists? Re-wire cable connections correctly without swapping wires? Use hand held configuration tools? Thanks for your response. Bob Chatters Fedex Memphis TN USA

C

Charles Hiatt

Beware of devicenet or any other can based network. It is very susceptible to Noise, Network configuration, power supplies, topology. It is very sensitive and is probably high risk for your application.

You might consider a seriplex network. It is fast, simple and flexable. The modules and be plugged in and out without chitting doen the network. You can get up to 7000 i/o on a multiplexed network, 500 I/o on a single network. Any network topology you can dream up will work.

Contact www.seriplex.org for more info.

Knowing all chips to the level that you could utilize assemble laguage to read, monitor, aplify, adjust and read diods, transisters, resisters, capacitors etc..