Difference between DSP motion IC and CMOS motion IC

E

Eric Ting

Hi ..

1.I came to know that they are 2 different type of motion control IC. One is using DSP technology and the other type is using CMOS technology.
I would like to know more of its differences and its advantages of these IC. Pls help me out.

2.Another thing can someone advice me which webpage I can read more literature on motion control especially motion control IC.

G

G. Hossein Mazarei

Hi Eric Ting
Today, there are some motion control algorithms which need a lot of calculation for control of the ac motors, this large amount of calculations are due to nonlinear model of motors . Or some times ,when we want to start a complex control algorithms for this purpose like sensorless flux vector control. In these situation a DSP processor can be used because of its high speed operations specially hardware mathematic operations. For more information in this regard you can see http://www.ti.com Texas instrument has developed some DSP processor specially for motion control algorithms, spome literature in this regard is included too. The most advanced family of them is TMS320F240 familly.
With Regards
G. H. Mazarei

Hi Eric,

DSP and CMOS are two different things and are not mutually exclusive.

CMOS = Complementary Metal - Oxide Semiconductor
DSP = Digital Signal Processor.

CMOS refers to the electrical (physical) characteristics of the integrated circuit. DSP is more a reference to the functionality of the
chip. In fact, a DSP is nothing more than a microprocessor with a few more on-board functions suited for signal processing. There is nothing
that prevents a DSP being fabricated with CMOS technology.

2. Don't rule out the low-tech option of asking your local distributors and/or integrators for information about motion control. Not all the best info is on the net just yet...

Oh, I almost forgot: I think one of the trade mags that crosses my desk is actually called "Motion Control Magazine" or just plain "Motion Control". You might try a search on that...

Good Luck,

Rufus