Difference Between Tricon and Trident Systems

C

Chris

Are there major hardware/software differences between a Tricon and Trident system developed by Invensys?

M
As I know Trident PLC has a smaller footprint than Tricon and is therefore lower cost. Trident is limited to a maximum of 16 analogue outputs per system.

M
As I know Trident PLC has a smaller footprint than Tricon and is therefore lower cost. Trident is limited to a maximum of 16 analogue outputs per system. Trident supports up to 600 I/O and Tricon is suitable for larger I/O.

I am also interested in the programming methods for these two units. Are they the same tools? Is there an emulation mode for testing?

> I am also interested in the programming methods for these two units. Are they
> the same tools? Is there an emulation mode for testing?

Tricon = chassis, SIL3, Nuclear 1E.
Trident = Baseplate, SIL3
Tri-GP = Baseplate, SIL2

They all use TriStation 1131.

TriStation 1131 is an integrated tool for developing, testing, and documenting safety and critical-process control applications for the Tricon, Trident and Triconex® General Purpose controllers. The programming methodology, user interface and self-documentation capabilities make the tool superior to traditional and competing engineering tools.

Emulator Panel
The Emulator Panel allows you to connect to the Emulator, download, test, and debug the application control program. The Emulator Panel allows you to monitor tagnames, disable and force values.

http://iom.invensys.com/EN/pdfLibrary/Datasheet_Triconex_Tristation1131v4-9_01-13.pdf