Document a Wonderware Intouch 7.1 application

F

Frank Parks

Hi All,
I've been assigned to document a Wonderware Intouch 7.1 application that the department has worked on for about 3 months. It has over 9000 tags. I've tried printing the database entries to file. It's a mess. I tried using the Database
Dump and the CSV file is all merged together. The lead engineer wants a cross-reference (tags and Item name), index, complete details and several other list (alarms, logged tags, event, alarm group). Has anyone done this before? Is there a database program that will organize all the tag information?

Thanks in advance.
Frank Parks

I have experience to make tags document.
1. Add the printer in window
2. use generic printer.
3. select text mode printer to save to file.
4. You have new printer in printer derectory.

5. open wonderware development with application which you developed.
6. print and select above generic printer.
7. entre the file name
8. open the saved file by using wordpad.
9 print this wordpad file
10 GOOD LUCK.

if you have good result please let me know.
regards from Indonesia,
Bye
Yuliwanto
PT. Istana Karang Laut
System Engineer

F
Thanks Yuliwanto. I’ve tried that method. There is no pagination. Tag information is divided across two pages. It has funny characters in the document. I can’t figure out how to make the other reports from this file (cross-reference, Index, list of alarms, logged tags list, event tag list, and alarm group list). Is there a simple way to get it into a spreadsheet or database?

I purchased the Parsit program from "www.QuickWizEFactory.com":http://www.QuickWizEFactory.com and tried it. It took me less than 15 minutes to set it up and run the program. It put everything in an Excel Workbook with Tabs for all the different types and made several of the lists that I need in about 5 minutes. It formatted the sheets and set up headings that looked real good when I printed some of it out. I presented it to the lead engineer and he was very pleased.

Thanks
Frank Parks

R
Hi Frank.

Yup. Done it before, but manually I'm afraid.

If you happen to find a better way, please let me know too !!!

Rob

F
Hi Rob,

I was doing it manually too. It would take me a few hours to get everything right. This Parsit program works fast. It only takes a few minutes to complete and then all I have to do is sort some of the list, add a few page breaks and print it. A 9000 plus tag database still prints a lot of pages.

How long does it take you to manually do a database not counting the print time? How do you do it? What kind of list are you generating other that the database itself?

Thanks

Frank Parks

My 2 cents.

We’ve been using ParsIt here for about 6 mo. The first time we ran it on a large application we were about to ship and had check thoroughly by hand for several days, the enhanced document features and sorting in various ways pointed out about 20 problems we missed. Most were tags in the wrong group or logging/event set when it shouldn’t, but a few had the wrong access name.

It would have taken us awhile to run down those problems in the field. We use it on every project several times during development to keep things straight.

We used the Tag Index and Alarm List as check list for testing and startups. Our clients are impressed and all we have to do is add a few columns to the lists and print them out.

Wonderware should have these features built into Intouch.