Does anybody have a touch screen they like

R

Richard Dewees

Hello

I am looking for a touch screen panel for a light industrial PC control application.
I am looking for a flat panel 15" full color display that can take some abuse.
If anybody out there is using something along these lines that they are willing to recommend I would greatly appreciate it.

Rick Dewees
OceanKayak

D
I use Microtouch touchscreens in my plant. Currently have 2 17" CRT touchscreens and 1 15" LCD touchscreen, all Microtouch brand. Great quality and performance with both types.

Plus you can order online with a P.O.
Darin Jett
Carbide/Graphite

G
Last time I used Microtouch screens they were a bit annoying.

I had no problem with quality or reliability (although Microtouch used to ship a wall mount power supply with their external touch screen controllers which would very consitantly die after just over 1 year continuous use)..

My complaint was that if you left your finger on them for too long they would "assume" there must be some sort of fault and would automatically
re-calibrate themselves to take into account the "problem".

The re-calibration and its after-effects were bad enough (all your buttons would be "in the wrong place") but what was worse was that the controller
wouldn't send a "finger off" message prior to starting the re-calibration, so your application code would happily continue doing whatever you had told it to start doing regardless of how frantically you tapped, hammered or clawed at the screen.

In some applications you "need" to keep your finger on the screen for extended periods (if you have a "momentary" type button on the screen which
keeps doing something for as long as you press it) and hence this behaviour is unnacceptable.

We brought this to the attention of Microtouch at the time (about 4 years ago) so I would hope they've fixed this by now.

In a way this raises philosophical points about the type of controls which work well on touchscreens.

I don't think this kind of control is good for a touchscreen unless perhaps the visual feedback for what you are controlling is actually under your finger.

If you have to look elsewhere to see what you're controlling, your finger will probably slide across the screen while you wait for something to
happen, causing havoc with nearby controls. There's no tactile feedback to help prevent you skating about the screen.

Regards

Geoff Moore

Straight Forward Solutions Ltd
Maynooth Road, Prosperous, Naas,
Co.Kildare, Ireland
+353 (0)45 892739
[email protected]

> ------- Forwarded message follows -------
> From: "Jett, Darin" <[email protected]>
>
> I use Microtouch touchscreens in my plant. Currently have 2 17" CRT
> touchscreens and 1 15" LCD touchscreen, all Microtouch brand. Great
quality and performance with both types. ...<clip>

R

Rod Doolittle

I have had really good luck with Touch Controls out of Fallbrook, CA. They use a IR touch so you have nothing to wear out and you can always
polish any scratches out of the acrylic face plate.

They demo their screens by beating on them with screwdrivers and such.

You can check them out at
http://www.touchcontrols.com

I have used both their flat panel displays and CRT's. Their drivers work well and they have a great on screen keyboard app.

Regards,

Rod