Does anyone know how to use Stepper Motors?

R

RoboOne

I need references about stepper motors. Catalogs would help, but I need manuals, resources.

Do you have any idea on how to use a 3.5" floppy drive stepper? Do you know its specifics, parameters or description?

Please mail me, I would really appreciate it. I'm currently researching on stepper motor controllers and robotics...

T
The last 3.5 floppy stepper motor I messed was while helping one of my kids do a science project The motor had the stepper driver built in. I just connected 12Vdc (from two lantern batteries) and viola, we had a spining color wheel. I doubt that the floppy drive motors have varied much since then.

If you're looking for general information, the front of the Parker/Compumotor catalog has served me well as a reference on several occasions.

They build the theory behind a stepper up from near zero, and it's pretty easy to read through.

Ashley

S

Simon Wakley

Hi, If you ran a motor with just 12V then it was not a stepper motor, it was a DC servo. The drive is usually a DC Servo, and the head is normally controlled by a stepper motor. Stepper motors are simpler for exact control as they need no feedback, but you do need a drive that takes in a direction and step signal and then it drives the coils on the motor to make it rotate.
Simon Wakley

M
all direct drive floppy spindle motors are brushless dc servos (hall sensors and electronic switching) in a pll closed loop. This method is over a decade old in 3.5" floppy drives. I haven't seen anything else since the old days of 8" floppies and the first 5" drives which were belt driven.

Matt Tudor, MSEE
http://www.gigahertzelectronics.com