DOS Medoc

N

Neil

Does anybody know of a way of printing off the ladder listing through a usb port? It used to be ok through a parallel port but am having problems with this DOS based version. New laptop does not have a parallel port.

C

Curt Wuollet

You aren't having problems with the dos based software you
(or someone on your behalf) have IMHO erroneously purchased a piece of junk unsuited for automation work. Return it and and patronize vendors that don't try to change the way you have to work.

Regards

cww

S
In DOS, before running the software, can you redirect LPT1: to a file? Then when you print, the data goes to the file instead of a physical port. Then you can print the file using whatever means you normally use. If you're running in a DOS window on a Windows box, I've had success
redirecting LPT1: to a USB printer at the Windows level.
--
Steve Myres, PE
Automation Solutions
(480) 813-1145

S

Steve Myres, PE

I'm reading your post thinking "Geez, Curt, that's a little harsh!" until I realized you were talking about his laptop and not MEDOC DOS, and in that case I fully agree with you.

I guess the DOS software is pretty well liked by a lot of people. You can however use GX-Developer and the keys are reconfigurable to the old DOS software I believe. I use the GX-IEC-Developer which is the German written software and it is pretty good. Support in the US is pretty minimal, but I don't mind personally. It is nice if you want to have "real" shared libraries between projects.

~Ken

C

Curt Wuollet

The duopoly and friends have gotten entirely too familiar with manipulating the PC market and consumers to suit their need to push new hardware and software. Now that there are alternatives and it is possible to live without either member or indeed any of their ilk, people should recognize the power slowly tilting back in their favor. It doesn't seem too far out of line that the large automation vendors would prefer that their older installed base become obsolete and need replacement. The tentacles are still rather tight as automation tools still require monopoly ware, but this too would turn over fairly quickly if people simply insist on what they need and what is in their best interest. It is a small start to insist that your laptop actually have the ports you need and run what you need to run, but it seems like a rather hard point for anyone to argue with you about.

Regards
cww

You can direct the printer output to a file from within Medoc. Do that, then print the file from Windoze or whatever you're running. (I've done offline programming with DOS Medoc under Linux using DOSEMU but not gone online or tried to print...)

There are USB to serial converters around which work with some PLC serial ports and presumably some printers but I haven't tried one from DOS.

On the subject of new PCs, our department have just bought a handful of HPs, purely on the feature of having a serial port...