Dynamic and static IP addresses

• Thread starter Joshi, Aditya \(GE Consumer & Industrial
  • Start date
J

Joshi, Aditya \(GE Consumer & Industrial

I want to know about IP addresses because I want to know how some SCADA applications are shared by 2 different PCs in 2 geographically distant locations.

I know what static and dynamic IP addresses mean in theory but my specific question is that if I have a static IP adrs. over a network and I start internet explorer then is that IP address still applicable and being used by IE or it assigns some new dynamic IP address to my PC for connecting to web?

Please send me some information if you can, related to my problem of showing a SCADA screen on a remote PC successfully.

Thanks and Regards,
Aditya

Most networks use a Router or proxy server (in some cases both are the same) to use NAT network address translation, to share a internet connection so the address that the internet really looks the Proxy or Router Address.

what you ahve to do is to contact your system administrator (or the one in the network you wanna access and ask him to allow you to access certain machine or to share a directory in the server directly conected to the target machine

I am uncertain what the issue of static and dynamic IP addresses has to do with the somewhat more complicated need to display a remote SCADA view.

Static IP addressing means each machine is fitted with a permanent IP address, variable IP addressing is something which is implemented by a DHCP server or controller, this machine can issue IP addresses in different ways but essentially can either give your machine a fixed IP address or an IP address from a "scope" of IP addresses which it has available.

If a machine is exposed to the internet directly, the use of a fixed IP address must be registered and costs a minimal fee which your internet service provider will normally take care of for you.

If you have variable IP addressing issued by your ISP then it is difficult for you to access a remote machine by virtue of its IP address as you get the address from a scope and as your machine is randomly assigned the IP from the scope it is not possible to index your machine identification to the IP address, this is a process carried out by a server called DNS or domain name server. In the case of a permanent IP address there is usually a
web site name or a server name stored in the index of the DNS that remote PC's use to cross reference the server name and IP address, the DNS table is updated by the DHCP server when you log your machine onto the network. When a machine anywhere in the world looks for this index over the internet, there is a predefined structure which is part of the set up of any DNS, that it uses to determine how it finds an IP address it doesn’t already know, this process is called reverse or forward lookup depending on whether you are looking for an IP address knowing a machine name or a name from an IP address, an unknown IP address is requested from a server higher up in the hierarchy of the worldwide DNS structure and the process is known as DNS request forwarding.

This explanation is hugely simplified and not intended to be technically exact but rather to provide you with an overview of the process in simple terms, I think you will agree that the ability to find a machine somewhere in the Ether is only the start of displaying any particular data on its screen, so my suggestion to you is to redirect your question to the forum, being a bit more specific about what it is you already have in your plant, and what it is you are hoping to achieve. Most modern SCADA packages have
add on utilities that allow them to exchange data over the internet, WinCC, InTouch and Citect to name but a few that I use.

Regards
Donald P

B

Brian E Boothe

No problems I've ever seen with A-B ADS (active display clients and servers") works very well

B

Brian E Boothe

If u have a DHCP server on the network that will assign the addresses, if not it's set by your IP address and subnet mask In your Control panel for your network card, then u set IE to see the values automaticly either way

It is necessary a software to manager the dynamic IP in the field (is possible to have until 65.000 device in the field). In the control room, is necessary to have a static IP (by ISP or other way).

We have several applications with dynamic IP, if you need more information please contact us in [email protected].