Earth Fault Detection

S

S Janakiraman

Please confirm if each channel of an analog or digital input/output module for a PLC is provided with earth fault detection. My understanding is that this is not available with any manufacturer, and this is not required. Generally, each channel is provided with surge protection only.

The above requirement is for a Shell project.

Another query: the same project demands that for the digital output module, the output should be from solid state device and not relay module. Please clarify if this is standard with system suppliers.

M

Michael Griffin

Most PLC manufacturers offer both relay and solid state outputs. Many customers prefer 24VDC transistor outputs because they are usually much more reliable than relays.

S

S Janakiraman

Thanks Griffin for your kind response. Can you respond to the first part about the earth fault detection for each channel in a module?

Also can you tell me how a Rittal Cabinet suitable for Zone 2 installation is tested to be suitable? My understanding is that a cabinet for Zone 2 is adequate to be EEx'e'. The modules installed inside this cabinet needs to be self-certified for Zone 2 area. The cabinet with all the components are tested to be suitable for Zone 2 area from the point of heat dissipation, energy retainment, etc. Pl. explain.