EDDL vs FDL

• Thread starter Shahid Waqas Chaudhry
  • Start date
S

Shahid Waqas Chaudhry

Dear List,

Recently Siemens and Emerson have opted for EDDL and stopped development of the FDL technology. While others are still supporting FDL.

I am new to this technology field and would like to know what is the take of the automation users and gurus on this issue.

Best Regards,
Shahid Waqas Chaudhry

My view is that it's a marketing fight. We buy control systems from Foxboro (pro-FDT) and Emerson (FDT-opposed). From what I've seen, FDT/DTM is nearly here and provides nice visualization of FF and HART field device maintenance, so why not use it?

I would like to mention here it is not only the Siemens and Emerson is opting for EDDL but Honeywell is also a big player. EDDl development is fully supported by Honeywell with Hart Foundation.

EDDL is a new concept of Device Description Language. Basically it would enhance the Feature of DD. All the manufacturers of devices will make their devices supporitng EDDL.

EDDL specs are being analyzed by Hart foundation by three major players Honeywell, Emerson and Siemens. It will contain more features towards Real time data from the device in form of Graphs and other things.

Honeywell is going to enhance their Hart field device configuration tool for the same.

J
Both EDDL files and FDT/DTM software have their strengths and weaknesses. I have a whitepaper analysing these in detail. Contact me directly on the address below if you are interested.

Summary:

DD Advantages:
* Consistent look and feel (purposely excludes graphics)
* Operating system independent
* Control strategy configuration
* Data beyond the configuration tool (e.g. to OPC)
* Secure (interpreted)

DD Disadvantages:
* Lack of graphics (but is currently being fixed)
* No third-party tools (tools are built into the control systems)
* May not appear like in manual

FDT Advantages:

* Powerful graphics (already available)
* Third-party tools (made possible thanks to commDTM)
* Appears as in manual

DD Disadvantages:
* Inconsistent look and feel (every DTM looks different, there are as
many style guides as there are vendors)
* Limited to Windows computers (i.e. not in handhelds)
* Limited to instruments (does build control strategy)
* Data trapped in DTM (does not go on to OPC)
* Version management (different versions of devices and DTM not handled well)
* An overwhelmingly large number of applications (DTMs) installed on the computer will result
* Security issues (ActiveX)

I personally feel that taking all into account DD has an advantage and is the best option for control systems.

Instrument suppliers will have to provide both DD files and DTM software for their instruments. At SMAR we already do this.

Jonas Berge
SMAR
===========
[email protected]
www.smar.com
Learn fieldbus and industrial Ethernet at your own pace:
www.isa.org/fieldbuses