Electra Software Opinions?

K

Ken E

Hello,

We currently use Visio at my place of employment for generating electrical schematics for internal use only. The fact that it doesn't do cross references and the symbols are all different sizes really leads to a lot of customization and tedious cross checking and things like that.

We found a product called Electra that is a Visio plugin and is moderately priced but significantly cheaper than the big vendors. It has a wide library of symbols from various standards (We are probably going to use IEC) and has smart features like auto wire numbering, terminal block auto number/renumber and auto increment of reference designators. This is mostly what we have been missing without the extra garbage piled on top. It has BOM capability and you can set it up for that but if you are doing a one off design you don't need to juggle which manufacturer's contactor you are going to use and so on.

For a user like me this seems ideal as I may do 3 schematics a year or I may only do 1 simple one a year, it depends on what I'm working on at the time. I don't have the time to re-aquaint myself with my software every time I use it. I would like the niceties of handing smart off-page references and that sort of thing.

BTW, I am not affiliated with the vendor at all! Just looking for opinions :eek:)

Anyone here use it and what did you like/dislike about it?

KEJR