Emerson DeltaV OPC: class not registered error

D

Donato Viana

Evening lads,

I seem to be in a bit of a mess trying to get an opc connection to work out between two servers.

I was getting the "Access Denied" error but after a few hours of DCOM Security reading I managed to get through that.

However, now, whenever I try to connect I run into the following error:

COM/OPC error 0x80040154 on CoCreateInstanceEx()
Error string: Class not registered

I am using Matrikon's OPC Explorer as a client (run with the same user as the one running the opc server). And on the other side there is an Emerson DeltaV OPC Server.

Where is it not registered? On the Client server?

I am not very familiar with the concept of (D)COM, but I do know I have to register its interfaces (or classids) on the com components console. Moreover, I am completely unfamiliar with DeltaV system, so I would not know whether there is some com component I have to explicitly register on the client...

Cheers!
--
Donato Azevedo
Chemtech Engineering
BEng Control & Automation

As a rule, OPC servers do not communicate with OPC servers.

An OPC server communicate with an OPC client. Multiple OPC servers can typically communicate to an OPC client.

Most OPC servers have a test OPC client embedded, so that connections and sample data can be tested, but the test clients are not designed for generic OPC client use.

Each of the OPC server vendors seems to have a special product that will allow an OPC server to talk to another OPC server, and I'm sure those advocates will pop up with their respective solutions.

D

Donato Viana

> As a rule, OPC servers do not communicate with OPC servers. <

I excuse my self, but I mean server in the hardware sense (as in a pc, or a workstation), not in the sense of OPC Server. I do have a client application running on a "pc" and a deltav opc server running on another "pc", both on the same subnet, with no firewall in between.

I do understand the concept of client-server communication regarding the OPC protocol, however what is not quite clear to me are the com guts of it.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

From my wanderings through google I have noticed that most OPC servers have an option to register its interface (running the server with the /RegServer option).

Are Emerson manuals available online? I seem not to find any of them.

Thanks once more for the fast response,

Cheers,
--
Donato Viana
BEng Control & Automation
Chemtech - Brasil

D

Donato Azevedo

> As a rule, OPC servers do not communicate with OPC servers.

> An OPC server communicate with an OPC client. Multiple OPC servers can typically communicate to an OPC client. <

I excuse my self for the misleading question. I meant servers in the hardware sense of the word (as in "pc").

I understand the client-server paradigm in the OPC protocol. It is, however, the DCOM internals that are unclear to me.

> Most OPC servers have a test OPC client embedded, so that connections and sample data can be tested, but the test clients are not designed for generic OPC client use. <

Just to make it clear: I am using the Matrikon OPC Explorer as the test OPC client; and the DeltaV OPC Server as the OPC server.

I get the following error:

(Class not registered)

> Each of the OPC server vendors seems to have a special product that will allow an OPC server to talk to another OPC server, and I'm sure those advocates will pop up with their respective solutions. <

Once more, thanks for the attention, and I am sorry for the misunderstanding, english is not my native language and I still learning.

--
Donato Azevedo Viana
BEng Ctrl & Aut.
Chemtech

W

Wassim Daoud

Here are some additional documents for DCOM configurations. Depending on your current operating system, select a document from the list below:

Configuring COM/DCOM for Windows NT or 2000
http://is.gd/d9de8

Configuring COM/DCOM for Windows XP or 2003 (no service packs)
http://is.gd/d9dcu

Configuring COM/DCOM for Windows XP SP2 or 2003 SP1
http://is.gd/d9dah

Let me know if you have any questions.

Wassim Daoud
Global Solutions Architect
www.MatrikonOPC.com

C

Chris Jennings

Looks like an DCOM issue with permissions, which is the main source of all problems OPC. DCOM is a dogs breakfast and I have spent many a day trying to get an OPC connection happening between systems.

I will see if I can find an whitepaper on possible fixes. Have you tried looking on Emerson's DeltaV website for hints? I think their documentation is pretty good.

Chris Jennings

I have the same problem , I was trying to connect by using Utgard (a library of Java for connect to OPC servers) and my tests are working for other servers (Matrikon, Iconics...) but not for the Emerson OPC (DeltaV).

So I wanted to try If is my problem or Emerson, and I see that the Matrikon Explorer is neither accessing there.

The CLSID that I used to connect by utgard is the C3B72AB1-6B33-11d0-9007-0020AFB6CF9F and unfortunately is not working correctly, is in the same pc (localhost) and the user is the DeltaVAdmin (the same used for WatchIt)...

Is really strange that WatchIt is working correctly and Matrikon Explorer no...

Well I tried to execute in the same machine (the same desktop) and It is reading the values... why is not working remotely?

Any ideas? the firewall is not working (is disabled)

G

G, Burnikell

> Well I tried to execute in the same machine (the same desktop) and It is
> reading the values... why is not working remotely?

> Any ideas? the firewall is not working (is disabled)

Have you set up identical accounts on both the server and the client and are the services on both machines set up to run under that account?

Regards,
G. Burnikell