Encoders

K

K. Clendenen

I'm looking for an absolute multi-turn (60turn) encoder with a 4-20 mA output. The unit needs to be able to withstand a significant amount of shock. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of something like this or someone that can design a unit?

S

Steve Myres, PE

If you will be converting to an analog signal, I'm guessing you don't need the absolute encoder for its precision, but for the absolute nature. I suggest a multi turn industrial pot, with included 4-20ma transmitter card, like Celesco's RT8420 series (www.celesco.com). These are absolute in nature, available with up to 200 turns, very ruggedly packaged, and will give you everything you need in a single package. Steve

We have in my factory 6 absolute encoders STEGMAN AG-626 whith communication SSI. An interface ESITRON SK 20.2 is connected at the output of the encoder. This interface convert the encoder´s absolute position into an analog signal 4-20 mA , 0-20 mA or 0-10 V

H

Harry Wilson

Recommend you focus on the encoder you want, which could be used with a encoder transmitter from M-System. The transmitter will work with virtually any encoder to provide a 4-20 ma signal. For more information see www.m-system.com

I have used Hohner absolute encoders with 4-20 mA output. I don't know if they have 60 turn units but they do have multiturn units.

G

Gebhard Kübler, president of Kubler

Kubler Germany has these type of encoder, at a very high shock rating. Please email to [email protected]. Kubler has service and sales outlets throughout the US.

P

Pierre R. Hinse CET

Along the same line, I am looking for absolute encoders for a different application. This is a mine hoist (elevator). We have been using magneto restrictive and optical encoders, with high speed counters card in the PLC. Is there out there an absolute encoder that communicates any of: RS232, RS485, ModBus, MB+, or even better ethernet. Of course then this encoder would have all the electronics, like the high speed counter built right in.

Pierre R. Hinse CET Sudbury, Canada

G

Gilles Allard

You may have a look at TR Controls (office at London, Ont) www.trelectronic.com They have a very broad line with many protocols like ASCII(RS422), Profibus, CAN, etc (no MB or Ethernet however).

Gilles

Danaher, supported in Canada by Chartwell Electronics can help. 905-513-7100. Encoders are made in the USofA and quick delivery...