Engineer licensure

B

Bob Peterson

I'd like to address some of the statements made by some people about the use of the title "engineer".

First off, in the state in which I live (Illinois), my understanding is that it is not illegal to provide "engineering" type services by non-PEs as long as the word 'engineer" does not appear in name of the business. Its much the same as someone providing bookkeeping and other accounting type services without being a CPA.

Second, what benefit to anyone (other then the PEs) is there in requiring anyone with such a title to pass the EIT and then the PE test??? The fact is that the vast majority of people holding PE registrations that I have run across perform little or no actual engineering. Many are sales persons or managers. A fair number of them spend their time affixing their precious seals to the work of others, many times with only a vague clue of the underlying work that was done. I fully expect outrage from the PE community over this statement, but quite frankly, thats been my experience.

After all, what does a PE registration represent? In most states it means only that someone has passed the EIT test, thern spent some time doing "engineering" work, than passes another test. Much of the time, the work
that passes for the PE's experience, is only remotely related to any serious engineering work. I know of a number of PEs who spent all of that time as salesmen. Does anyone believe they gained any serious engineering experience selling technical equipment??

As best I can tell, the EIT test serves primarily to force the engineering schools to require certain obscure courses (Fortran was a biggie until a few years ago), that should have long ago been dropped. The time wasted on some
of these courses could have been put to good use teaching the students something useful, but instead the coursework has to focus on things of little practical benefit.

I happen to have an older EIT study guide on the book shelf. Some time ago I thought it might be useful to become a PE so I acquired this book. The book describes the EIT test. Only a few sections could even remotely be said to apply to normal control problems. Much of it is oriented towards mechanical engineering problems, materials, etc. Things that I never seem to miss while designing control systems.

BTW-I readily admit my degree skipped a few of these things (I have a BSEET). I did take statics and dynamics from a local college here in town a few years back (I got the only "A"). I really enjoyed it and if there was a practical way for me to have done so I would have "upgraded" by degree to a BSEE and maybe gone for the EIT and later PE tests. As best I could tell, I would have basically had to retake all but a few courses (including such things as a couple semesters of calculus I already had), and I just was not upto all that work for the extra peice of paper.

I suspect that if I really was interested, I could go take the EIT review class that is offered, and with some serious work for a few months could probably pass the EIT (although it has been a VERY long time).

I am not at all offended that network engineers use the title. In a real sense they do very serious engineering work. They design systems, solve problems, and perform other duties in cyberspace that other engineers perform in a more physical sense.

I do realize that the natural progression is towards more and more PEs in my line of work, and I would strongly suggest anyone who wants to get into the field to attend a "real" engineering school, take the EIT cram class, and pass the damn thing. If nothing else, its a merit badge to impress the HR people with.

Bob Peterson

R

Ranjan Acharya

At least this one does not involve Linux and Windows ...

There are good doctors and bad doctors too. There are doctors who push drugs and do not practise medicine. However, at least the title "Doctor" gives you an idea that they have the basic modicum of training to be a doctor.

That being said, I do not think the requirements to become a PE (versus say a C.Eng in Europe) are very tough.

Here in Ontario, the APEO licensing body is discussing some sort of evaluation scheme and also discussing different levels of licence. However, they waste much of their time dreaming up things like advocacy groups and so on (mostly to get more fees it would seem) and seem to spend no time improving the profession (or telling the public what the profession is all about; the annual boring advertising campaign for Engineering Week excluded). Cynicism and apathy reign supreme with anaemic voter turn out on any issue or any election. Most P.Eng's I meet do not bother to vote.

There is also the huge issue of Software Engineers versus Computer Scientists ...

The term engineer and titles P.Eng, Ing., PE et cetera should still be reserved for those who have gone through the "process". The "process" obviously requires re-engineering and also it should cover engineers across more than one province, state or territory. There should be at least a common licence process across each trading body (one for North America, one for Western Europe and so on) so that an engineer who got their licence in California can move to Nunavit (why not?) and already have a local engineering licence without writing any tests or paying any outrageous fees. Bodies such as the IEEE should also be involved so that someone who has aP.Eng (Control Engineering) versus a P.Eng (Structural Engineering) has been appropriately "checked out".

There is nothing inherently wrong with learning FORTRAN either. Pascal is a good teaching language and although it makes an appearance in some IEC 61131.3 tools, it is not much use in the real world. The tact on programming training is not how many languages you know but that you know how to programme in a clear and effective manner with good documentation, version tracking &c.

Just some thoughts on the issue.

P
Ranjan Acharya wrote:

(snip) I do not think the requirements to become a PE (versus say a C.Eng in Europe) are very tough.

Not very tough! Ha! Then how come the exam pass rate for most disciplines is only around 50%!

Also, something that seems to have been overlooked in the discussions I've read, a P.E. is generally considered a requirement for engineers involved with *public safety*. There has always been the 'industrial exemption'. As
someone else mentioned, it's primarily a legal issue (for public safety). Also, there is nothing wrong with a P.E. signing off on the work of others, assuming he oversaw the work and is familiar with it.

Paul Gruhn, P.E., C.F.S.E.
Siemens, Houston, TX

B

Bob Peterson

> There are good doctors and bad doctors too. There are doctors who push
> drugs and do not practise medicine. However, at least the title "Doctor"
> gives you an idea that they have the basic modicum of training to be a
> doctor.

However, anyone with a PhD, an LLD, or various other doctorates (such as DC) are also referred to as doctors. I tend to think of engineer as a more generic term. PE is more specific, and means not only do you perform engineering work, but you also passed a couple tests.

> That being said, I do not think the requirements to become a PE (versus say
> a C.Eng in Europe) are very tough.

Personally, I think the requirements are not that far off, but just skewed in ways that force the engineering curriculums to include courses of dubious value. What possible benefit is there to requiring a lot of mechanical engineering classes for control or electrical engineers? Granted there has to be some understanding of the physics there, but I wonder if its necessary to have such a focus on it.

> Here in Ontario, the APEO licensing body is discussing some sort of
> evaluation scheme and also discussing different levels of licence. However,
> they waste much of their time dreaming up things like advocacy groups and so
> on (mostly to get more fees it would seem) and seem to spend no time
> improving the profession (or telling the public what the profession is all
> about; the annual boring advertising campaign for Engineering Week
> excluded). Cynicism and apathy reign supreme with anaemic voter turn out on
> any issue or any election. Most P.Eng's I meet do not bother to vote.
>
> There is also the huge issue of Software Engineers versus Computer
> Scientists ...

I personally think software engineers are real engineers, just as structural engineers are. But just because someone was able to pass a few tests does not mean he is competant in any particular field. I would not want a PE
(structural) whose only experience is with bridges designing a skyscraper.

> The term engineer and titles P.Eng, Ing., PE et cetera should still be
> reserved for those who have gone through the "process". The "process"
> obviously requires re-engineering and also it should cover engineers across
> more than one province, state or territory. There should be at least a
> common licence process across each trading body (one for North America, one
> for Western Europe and so on) so that an engineer who got their licence in
> California can move to Nunavit (why not?) and already have a local
> engineering licence without writing any tests or paying any outrageous fees.
> Bodies such as the IEEE should also be involved so that someone who has a
> P.Eng (Control Engineering) versus a P.Eng (Structural Engineering) has been
> appropriately "checked out".

The problem is that the guys already through the process are rarely up to date, and usually they are the ones controlling the process. I suspect their main agenda is to restrict competition, and create opportunities to use their seals on other people's work (for a hefty fee of course). I would prefer to see something like the pressure vessel people do. They certify "engineers" to design vessels. No PE is required, but you do have to show you are
competant to do this work.

Even the medical profession has finally recognized that brain surgery is not the same as internal medicine, even though both are referred to as MDs (or in some cases DOs).

> There is nothing inherently wrong with learning FORTRAN either. Pascal is a
> good teaching language and although it makes an appearance in some IEC
> 61131.3 tools, it is not much use in the real world. The tact on
> programming training is not how many languages you know but that you know
> how to programme in a clear and effective manner with good documentation,
> version tracking &c.

My point about Fortran was not that its a bad language, only that Fortran was a required engineering course solely because a whole section of the EIT was (maybe still is) devoted to it. Does anyone actually use it that much anymore? Certainly there are far better choices today. I suspect that engineering education is going to need a look see. The course work has gotten to the point that its close to a five year program now, that the colleges try to make happen in 4 years, although some have gone to 5 year programs. I think there is a serious need to look at reducing the non-related coursework, or a 5 year program will be the norm. I would prefer to see a few less non-technical classes, and a pruning of a few of the less usefull technical classes, rather then increasing the course to 5 years, as appears to be the trend. Maybe a fifth year could be added as part of a master's program.

Bob Peterson

> First off, in the state in which I live (Illinois), my understanding is
> that it is not illegal to provide "engineering" type services by non-PEs
> as long as the word 'engineer" does not appear in name of the business.
> Its much the same as someone providing bookkeeping and other accounting
> type services without being a CPA.

In Texas, if it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it is a duck. Not using "engineering" in a company name or "engineer" in your personal title does not get you around the law. If you are providing engineering services to other companies or the public, you fall under the Texas Engineering Practice Act irregardless of name or title.

In regards to Illinois, you might want to review Illinois Professional Engineering Practice Act of 1989 225 ILCS 325. Section 4(o) may be of interest to you. You will find it at:

"http://www.legis.state.il.us/ilcs/ch225/ch225act325.htm":http://www.legis.state.il.us/ilcs/ch225/ch225act325.htm

This practice of not putting "engineering" in a company name or "engineer" in a person's title or using the title "Consultant" or "Analyst" to get around the engineering license laws is not an uncommon practice but I suspect it is illegal in most if not all states. People get away with it generally because they are not too blatant about it, many times the customers don't care or are not aware of the law, and they are not reported the local state board. Any company doing this may want to also consider their potentially additional liability in doing this if they are ever sued in regards to the engineering services that they provide.::

Bill Mostia
===========================================
William(Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. PE
Independent I & E Consultant
WLM Engineering Co.
P.O. Box 1129
Kemah, TX 77565
[email protected]
281-334-3169
These opinions are my own and are offered on the basis of Caveat Emptor.

W
Somebody, I forget who, posted:
> Bodies such as the IEEE should also be involved so that someone
> who has a
> > P.Eng (Control Engineering) versus a P.Eng (Structural
> Engineering) has been
> > appropriately "checked out".

In fact, ISA has been the responsible body for the Control Systems Engineering license since its inception. Dr. Thomas Stout and other members of the ISA Professional Development Department were the people who got Controls to be a licensable practice to begin with.

ISA has recently changed its bylaws to permit it to conduct public policy advocacy on behalf of control systems engineers before licensing bodies. If you want to contribute to that effort, send your contributions to the ISA Education Foundation, c/o Dr. Jim Pearson, at ISA headquarters, earmarked for Public Policy Advocacy. While we've enabled a Public Policy Advocacy committee, we've not been able to fund it (remember that Sept. 11 was the second day of the ISA show this past year), and we could use the money.

Best,

Walt Boyes

----------------------------------------------
Walt Boyes - [email protected]
ISA - The Instrumentation, Systems and Automation Society http://www.isa.org
Vice-President, Publications Department
--------------------------------------------

Well, its too bad that you are unhappy about this situation. I graduated in 1993 and did not take the PE test until 1998. I passed the first time. I have a BSEE and have my own controls company since 1999.

Let me tell you that it is not such a difficult test. If you have the concepts clear in your mind, and you take a review course, you should be
OK.

I was like you. I thought that a PE license is useless. However I was wrong. Also, the state government began making the engineering law more strict so I decided to take the test.

Finally, my suggestion is: Study hard, pass the test and put an end to your debate.

Bob,

Not to take away from your experience with PE's,
The reason for a PE is that they are help responsible for the legal aspects of what they sign off on. And the reason for the mechanical
intensity of the PE exam is that they are held responsible for, lets say a building that they sign off on. If it collapses then they are
help legally responsible.

Maurice BSEET