Entivity/Steeplechase VLC

A

Anonymous

I am looking for comments (good and bad) from users who have experience with Steeplechase VLC in PC based control applications. (I am not looking to compare the merits of PC vs. PLC controls.) If you have used VLC, did you like it? How has it performed in the long term? Have you had issues with the hardware? Any other insights or experiences would be much appreciated.

E

EElectronical Solutions

Nematron gets royalitys on every Entivity / SteepleChase Software package sold

SteepleChase works well with CiTech SCADA / HMI Software

EElectronical Solutions
[email protected]

S
I have used Steeplechase exclusively for the 18 months.

The good: Entivity offers unparallelled technical support, period. The language takes some getting used to from ladder, but is far more flexible and ultimately superior. It supports a wide variety of fieldbusses. Steeplechase handles serial communcation (RS232, etc.) much, much better (and cheaper) than a PLC. Steeplechase is very stable, flexible and powerful.

The not-so-good: CiTech isn't the greatest HMI package, I recommend RSView or VB. There are rumored issues with the OPC server, make sure you test it. Be careful on your PC selection, never use a Compaq. Steeplechase does not manage the program scan like a PLC, read up and be careful.

I've been using VLC for over 8+ years...very good software, stable, easy to program, tech support is great

M

Marco A. Rodriguez, P.E.

I worked with VLC5.1 about 1 year ago only for a couple of months.

The good: Runs on a PC. It survives the "blue screen of death". It is deterministic. Allows you to program in SFC. Blocks can be programmed in structured language. Has plenty of communication drivers. Excellent for prototype setups and low i/o counts. Allows the pc to be your controller and hmi at the same time.

The bad: I worked with VLC5.1 and its database didnt allow for nested folders. It was just a big long database. It didnt required you to define a tag right after using it, so it was easy to just forget to define it. The user needed to go to another configuration section to configure the tag. Because of its single database depository folder, high i/o counts become cumbersome. I was not convinced of its robustness for a 24/7 application.

Marco A. Rodriguez, P.E.

R
I am in the process of designing a replacement for an old and ailing PLC currently controlling the Coal Conveying System at our power plant. I plan on replacing the existing panel, with its hand switches and indicator lamps, with a GUI. This will allow me to extend control by placing additional interfaces on the coal and power plant floors. I would also like to pass data to the plants Delta V DCS and PI Historian (ie. via OPC or ODBC). The I/O that is currently in the panel (Series 5 Rack) would be deleted. Conveyor field I/O is Genius Bus.
Some years ago I purchased, for another project which did not materialize, a licensed copy of the Steeplechase VLC development SW. Entivity will upgrade my SW for a nominal charge.
I would like to receive advise on the sutability of VLC for systems as critical as power plant conveyors. I would especially appreciate any insight on issues concerning the VLC RTOS, it’s longevity in the market etc.

Would you consider VLC for control of a similar process?

We have many installations of VLC over a variety of industries (see http://www.cubexcontrols.com). As far as controlling a critical system, we have had great success in a redundant control system for municiapl waste water systems. If designed right, VLC works great.

I used it when I developed the program for an assembling machine where mechanical engineers made changes everyday. The VLC then communicated via OPC to our HMI-program. Like it a lot.

- Nice "C-coding"
- Fast to reprogram
- Average debugging
- Pretty good online programming (you can add text, but not new blocks)

Regards
/Magnus

M

Mark Zeilenga

I have used the VLC software very successfully on our liquid packaging machinery for the past 4 years. We have over 30 installations and the only problem we've had recently is with the Opto-22 Pamux driver and PCI cards. We wrote our own using the Generic PCI driver and that works fine. Tech support is top notch and the product works great. Highly recommended.

Mark Zeilenga
[email protected]