ESD with Siemens PLC - replace for Triconex

R

RG

Can anyone Guide me on what would be the Hardware & Software Modifications that need to be carried out for replacing existing Triconex ESD system with Siemens PLC, also let us know wheter it is feasible

Though I am not very proficient on Siemens PLCs, this question nags me - why should you replace a Triconex ESD system with a general-purpose PLC?

The company I work for is one of the world's biggest oil producer. We have Triconex TMR systems for more than 20 years ranging from Version 5.x to 10.x.

TRiconex is primarily designed for safety critical applications. Putting a general-pupose PLC in place of a TMR system is definitely not a step forward. The support from Triconex has been very good. The system has been very reliable in the harsh environments of an off-shore platform or the deep desert.

I am not sponsoring a particular brand, rather cautioning you on doing soemthing that definitely won't give the best protection for your plant and equipment.

Siemens Fail-safe controllers are no standard PLCs. They will do SIL3 applications nicely with a more modern hardware footprint than a TMR system of the previous generation of Fail-Safe logic solvers.

Siemens offers SIL3 qualified logic solvers from 10 to 2000 IO. Multiple safety-programming languages (LAD, CFC, CAUSE-EFFECT) and uses Profisafe, a vendor independent protocol, so you can use different IO (e.g. light curtains from another vendor).

Siemens can be used in machine and process safety.

Triconex has installations for applications ranging from ESD, Fire & Gas, Rail, Critical control and Nuclear. It is the ONLY digital control system with Nuclear 1E approval by the NRC... Siemens can't touch it.

Siemens has built a large number of nuclear power plants, with Siemens control and safety all over.

And if you are a little updated on safety control systems you would also know that rules and regulations for nuclear power plants have prevented developments so that instrumentation and safety systems for nuclear power plants are all outdated compared to solutions for other branches.