Ethernet comms between PC and SLC5/05

M

M_Fehervari

I'm working on this project where I'm supposed to collect machine downtime data to a PC ( for tracking purposes ).

Originally, I was planning to use RS232 comms, and just catch the strings from the SLC5/05 using the MSComm_Oncomm...

But it's never as easy as it's planned, turns out there's a PV on the RS232 port already.

Basically all I need is a heartbeat from the PLC ( like sending "1" for running , and "0" for not running ) to the PC...

What is the easiest way of doing this through the ethernet?

Thanks in advance!

S

ScienceOfficer

M_Fehervari---

Here are three approaches:

1. Direct: Purchase RSLinx Single Node (9355-WABSNENE, US$395), put the new computer on the Ethernet with the 5/05, and use OPC to get the bit you need.

2. Indirect Ethernet: Since the only reason to have a 5/05 instead of a 5/03 is to use its Ethernet capabilities, there must be some computer out there that can talk to the 5/05 already. Have that other computer capture the bit you need and share it across the network to your new computer.

3. Indirect ASCII: DF1 PanelViews have a second RS-232 port that can be used as a serial printer port. You can arrange for the bit you need to trigger an alarm or message from the PanelView to the serial printer port, and read that through RS-232 to a COM port on your new computer, at which point you can parse ASCII as you originally intended.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

M
Well, option 1 will probably be the way to go eventually, but I need to get it running very soon.

I tried messing around with option 2, but haven't had any luck.

I'm currently trying option 3 ( printer port on PV ) , but I'm having a bit of trouble...

What does it output? Just the ASCII characters that I type in the message window?

S

ScienceOfficer

M_Fehervari---

Option 1 can be up and running in 48 hours or faster, depending upon your relationship with your Rockwell distributor. It's also clean and easy. Your comment about running sson confuses me.

Option 2 should be easier than your original plan. There are lots of ways to share data between PCs, and all of them are easier than parsing ASCII.

For Option 3, the output is an ASCII stream of whatever you want, with framing characters if you want them. Try attaching with HyperTerminal or any dumb terminal and seeing what's coming out.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida