Ethernet comms on PLC's and viruses

A

automationdon

Why should my controller(PLC) have to be powercycled when all that is wrong is my ethernet card was locked up by a virus(NIMDA)? Does anyone have a solution for a better Ethernet card for a 2700XM CTC controller than the 2217. I found out AB and GE 90/30's also require power cycle to reset.

T
Are you using a fixed IP address, or one that is obtained on power up?. If the address is obtained at power up then that might explain your problem. On controller networks I use only fixed addresses and have never had to cycle power on my AB processors, when the server comes back on line the processors can begin communicating without cycling power.

G

Greg Goodman

> Why should my controller(PLC) have to be powercycled when all that is wrong is my ethernet card was locked up by a virus(NIMDA)?

Unless the ethernet card has its own independent re-init button, or your PLC supports hot-swapping of comm cards, then your ethernet card performs
its initialization on system power-up. If the card needs re-initing, then you have to cycle power. That may well be true of all the cards in your rack, not just the ethernet card. It's not as big an issue with the other cards, though, because they probably don't lock up due to malicious network traffic.

Greg

J
AB Makes a 1761-NET-ENI Module that will do this. It works with alot of their SLC and micrologix line. Check it out.

M

Mike LeClair

1761 NET ENI module works pretty good, remember it is still essentially a DF1 device, limited in traffic speed, and up to six connections.

ProSoft also makes a number of protocol convertors that work very well.