Ethernet messaging to labeller

I

Ian

Hi Everyone, First post so go easy!

I have been given a nice little project that includes creating full pallet labels via three automatic 'Logopak' pallet labellers.

I have an existing PLC5/80 ethernet processor, that I was hoping to use to send several flat strings including the required fields of data for the label.

However,I have now found out that although the labeller has an ethernet 'CommServer' (that basically converts from ethernet to RS232), this device uses Winsock port 8000.

I have contacted some resources who think that direct comms (i.e not using VB) would not be possible, although others have had contrasting views (although no actual solutions. :) )
The manufacturer told us that ethernet communication was possible from the PLC, but seem a little less sure of late!

I have noticed that in the Logix5 MSG instruction, there is provision for an IP address, but nothing for a port number, so I am not too sure how to set this part up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J

Jerry Miille

Not really understanding your project details but have the following suggestion: Look at the MARC Omnii-Comm module that supports Ethernet
communication as well as ASCII communication http://www.miille.com/266-P00-Ethernet.pdf .

This module can convert ASCII strings to data that can be accessed using standard PLC messaging.

You may contact me directly at jmiille at miille.com.

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the advice, the 4 port version of this looks as though it will do the job. If I understand this, the PLC Message instruction would target the IP of the Omnii Com module. How would I then discriminate between each of the 3 serial devices connected?

Thanks,
Ian