Excitation System: VAR vs Power Factor Control Modes

Hello,

We have a steam turbine generator (6.6 kV) that is connected in parallel with the national grid. During the parallel operation, I have the option to choose between the Power Factor Control or the VAR Control. What are the pros and cons for using both control modes? Which one should I choose?

Hello,

We have a steam turbine generator (6.6 kV) that is connected in parallel with the national grid. During the parallel operation, I have the option to choose between the Power Factor Control or the VAR Control. What are the pros and cons for using both control modes? Which one should I choose?

Hello all,

Atteya,

What You means by using both control mode, as PF & VAR are related?

You should study your grid /electrical systems for better understanding of the PF OR VAR control.

Well it depends on the dispatching queries.

I advise you to ask these question to your dispatching center. they know "grid behavior" better than us!

Controls Guy25.

Hello all,

Atteya,

What You means by using both control mode , as PF & VAR are related .

You should study your grid /electrical systems , for better understanding of the PF OR VAR control.

Well it depends on the dispatching queries .

I advise you to ask these question to your dispatching center , they know "grid behavior" better than us!

Controls Guy25.
Controls Guy25,

Thanks for your response.

Our steam-turbine generator is used to provide power to our chemical plant in parallel with the grid and of course, keeps the plant running in case of grid failure.

In case of parallel operation, we normally put our excitation system on the PF control mode and increase it to around 0.97 which enhances the power quality in our plant. I was wondering when should I use the VAR control.

Thanks in advance.

Controls Guy25,

Thanks for your response.

Our steam-turbine generator is used to provide power to our chemical plant in parallel with the grid and of course, keeps the plant running in case of grid failure.

In case of parallel operation, we normally put our excitation system on the PF control mode and increase it to around 0.97 which enhances the power quality in our plant. I was wondering when should I use the VAR control.

Thanks in advance.
Atteya,

Thanks for your response,

Did you ever perform a Balance/list of load studying.

As we do not have access to your single line diagram, and load lists it will be difficult to support you.

You can make a load list & electrical system study, case by case ( or event by event ) according to your plant process.

But the thing is that VAR control is used in case of Inductive/capacitive load demand/rejection, do you have kind of loads?.

Also VAR Control can be used in load sharing scheme ( VAR sharing between units ) , i do not know how many units at your site.

Do you have isochronous mode implemented on your controls system. as you stated that unit go to island mode?

You question is about VAR CONTROL during grid& plant parallel operation???

We dont know the grid&unit capability for MVAR control, thats why I advised you to speak with dispatching for getting better overview.

Can you share a SINGLE LINE DIAGRAM & load list?

Hope this can help,
ControlsGuy25.