.exe file not found on WinNT

P

Pravin Fatnani

hello listmembers,

my problem is, I am not able to run a DOS exe from within WinNT4.0. It is a small cross assembler program, which when run from within NT, fires a message : FCB not found and does not run. The same program runs fine in WIN95. Sure, someone can help.
Many Thanks.

Pravin Fatnani

P

Pravin Fatnani

I really don't know the source, but it's a 68000 cross asembler ver 3.00b.
Pravin Fatnani

-----Original Message-----
>From: roger Irwin <>
>
>> my problem is, I am not able to run a DOS exe from within WinNT4.0. It is
>> a small cross assembler program,
>
>Details please, which cross assembler?

------- End of forwarded message -------

Check out the new archive of the Automation List!
It's at http://www.control.com/exchange/archive.
Before posting, please read http://www.control.com/alist/faq.txt.
The Automation List is managed by Control Technology Corporation.

DOS uses a File Control Block (FCB), while your NT system uses a completely different NTFS file system. Win 95 is a shell built on top of DOS which adds graphical and other enhancements, while NT is a much more advanced operating system.

NT may emulate many of the features of DOS, but it can't duplicate many of them because it is inherently different.

Hope this helps!

M

Michel A. Levesque, eng.

The FCB refers to an old DOS entity called file control blocks. Just add

FCBS=8

to the config.nt file on your system. (This keeps 8 files open using file control blocks instead of the "files" entity ex. files=8 command).

This is typical in really old DOS programs (pre 2.x versions). Since the program is old and was probably built for the XT or AT platform, you have a better chance of running it in NT than "newer" programs. However be aware that NT does not have a real DOS box, thus it may not run your program reliably.

Good Luck

Michel A. Levesque, eng.
Directeur Bureau Montreal
AIA Inc.
[email protected]