Explosion Proof Solar Cells

T

TonyG

Hi all,

I'm Trying to find out what aspects of a PV cell are important when certifying them for use in a controlled/safe/EXd zone? Is the entire sealed array considered or is it simply the junction box and electrical connections which are important? and whether an un-certified solar panel can be modified so that it could gain a certificate?

Cheers!
Tony

With no replies after several days, I have to assume no forum participants are versed in the procedure, including myself.

Pure speculation leads me to believe all aspects of manufactured unit are important. To what degree will depend on which of the various protection techniques and or methods are to be employed. Emerson published a Bulletin which provides an overview...

http://www.documentation.emersonprocess.com/groups/public/documents/bulletins/d103222x012.pdf

For specifics, I believe you will have to contact one or more of the NRTL's.

Hola,

The equipment is ATEX certificate which specifies the mode of protection of the components. You can only modify the equipment as specified by the certificate. Search the certificate reads it.

ATEX is an EU certification. However, some authorities in other regions may accept the certification.

I believe it is typically better to have/get equipment certified (aka listed, labeled) for the region of use.

If the equipment is not certified who says that can be used in potentially explosive atmospheres? An accredited laboratory certifies that the equipment complies with all regulations.

My two bits on the subject are:

The Solar panel plates are completely enclosed. The surface temperature of the plated rise as they are exposed to the sun. That rise in surface temp should not come close to the ignition temp of the gas present in the classified area. Also there should not be any sparking components like capacitor, switches etc. near the plates.

The cables and interconnection can be done in a classified JB which can be placed in the area. You will be covered that way.

Now I do agree with others here when they say the you should get ATEX certification for all components but till the time you do follow the above guideline. You should be good to go. That is of course my opinion based on experience, I am not a Solar Panel design expert.

Regards,
Mutahir