Extracting Historical Data Out Of Intouch

• Thread starter Shannon J. Landry Brightstar Information
  • Start date
S

Shannon J. Landry Brightstar Information

I have a customer who would like to take the Historical data files (*.IDX and *.LGH) files from one machine, copy them to another machine, then convert them somehow to a flat file for use in some calculations. Histdata is not an option, there are too many tags, too high a frequency and too long a duration (about 80 tags, 5 second interval, 24hours of data). Can Any one help?

Shannon J. Landry
Brightstar Information Technologies, Inc.
100 Asma Blvd. Suite 300
Lafayette, LA 70508
Phone 337.233.4537
Fax: 337.233.6452
Personal Ext: 337.231.4108
Pager 337.271.1919
Mobile: 337.298.1687
Mailto:[email protected]
Home Page: http://www.brightstar.com

B
There is a company called "Standard Automation" in Houston (Wonderware Distributors). They have a product called "DATA HISTORIAN". I believe it
will serve your purpose.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Babar Jamil

D
Why don't you think HistData is an option?

You can append strings of tagnames together using the TAGS1,TAGS2,TAGS3,etc. item names to HistData so retrieving 80 tags should be OK. The sample
interval can be expressed in seconds and the duration an be expressed in seconds, minutes, hours, days or weeks.

The InTouch Reference Guide has the skinny on all of this...

S

Shannon Landry

I have used the Standard Automation products. The Data Historian is a real time logging utility. It uses ODBC to extract data while WW is running and sends it wherever you want to send it to. They also have a utility called the Data Reporting tool, but I have not been able to get it to work with Excel 2000 yet. I am presently working with Standard Automation to find the
problem.

FYI: The tools that Standard Automation sells are very nice, but not cheep. The Data Historian is $2000. Sounds like a lot to me just to do data
logging to an open flat file. I still believe that WW (and everyone else) should use open historical database architecture, but that is my opinion.

Shannon J. Landry
100 Asma Blvd. Suite 300
Lafayette, LA 70508
Phone 337.233.4537
Pager 337.271.1919

A
Intouch log files are a very poor method of storing historical data for later analysis and use. Have you considered using a true historical data manager to record the realtime data , and then provide this data to another machine for analysis and reporting. I have used a product called Rapid Historian from Automsoft. This sits on top of Intouch and collects huge amouts of data. This data can then be distributed using OPC to clients for analysis and reporting. It is worth looking at.
Regards
Alex

S

Shannon Landry

If I was to use Histdata, I would be returned an error "Too Much Data Requested". HistData Is very limited on how many samples of individual data can be sent at one time.

Shannon J. Landry
100 Asma Blvd. Suite 300
Lafayette, LA 70508
Phone 337.233.4537
Pager 337.271.1919

S

Seann Gallagher

Shannon:

HistData will handle that amount of data. The error that you are getting is a result of using "SendData" which is not required to write data to a file. The "WriteFile" item is the only one that is needed. Eliminate the use of the "SendData" item and you should be good to go.

Seann Gallagher
Standard Automation & Control LP