Factory Link Omron PLCs, and OPC

W

W. M. A.

I am getting prepared to migrate from a host link driver to OPC communicaton through Factory Link 7.5. I Have noticed some post with regard to reliability of DCOM, and location of the OPC server on the same machine as the FL application. If anyone can provide insight about these DCOM reliability issues it would be appreciated. Also if there is any experience with various OPC servers for Omron I would like opinions. I was leaning toward the Omron OPC server. I have heard Matricon is also very good. Thank you for your comments.

G

Gustavo A. Valero P.

Hi,

Just follow these steps:

1) if you want to configure FactoryLink's DCOM settings just use "DCOM Wizard" utility and follow the instructions. It will do this job for you!

2) If you want to learn how to configure and how FL's OPC Task works, go to FactoryLink Documents icon on your Windows Desktop and choose the document associated with OPC technology (Reference section).

3) An OPC server for Omron PLCs? I have no preferences but Matrikon or KepServer can do this work without problems.

Regards.

Saludos.

Gustavo A. Valero P.
BIConsulting C.A.
Valencia - Venezuela
[email protected]

J
DCOM works very well on a local LAN. No problem. The DCOM "problem" you may have heard of is that some applications take 6 minutes to discover that DCOM communication failed. However, most OPC clients and servers I have worked with have mechanisms to detect this much quicker. Thus, no problem.

Other "issues" with DCOM is that it has tight security that has to be configured. This became even more so with Windows XP SP2 - but it can be done if you follow the procedures step by step.

Lastly, DCOM does not work well between domains, across the internet, through firewalls and NAT etc. In this case use "tunneller" from Matrikon or Iconics. However, within control system no problem to use OPC as-is.

For all flavours of OPC and other automation software technologies take a look at the book "Software for Automation: Architecture, Integration, and Security". Preview, see contents, and buy online: www.isa.org/autosoftware

What post (message subject) spoke of DCOM reliability?

Jonas Berge
SMAR
===========
[email protected]
www.smar.com
Learn fieldbus and Ethernet at your own pace: www.isa.org/fieldbuses
Learn OPC and automation software at your own pace: www.isa.org/autosoftware