Factorytalk Communications to Valmet DCS

My client has purchased a nonoperating industrial site with a Valmet DNA DCS. Existing equipment and controls will be roughly 70% abandoned and 30% restarted utilities. My client has written agreements with three major module companies for turnkey engineered processes for new process equipment, which include AllenBradley Controllogix PLCs with stand alone Factorytalk servers in each module.

Is there a way to integrate these control systems into the central Valmet DCS? With the idea of having central controls and historization from the Valmet system? How impractical is it to have a Valmet top end (Scada functionality) with the vast majority of controllers being controllogix?

Or is it better to import local AllenBradley graphics into a central Factorytalk SE server? Thus using the AB SE system for process control and leaving existing utilities on the Valmet DCS.

D

David Ferguson

Would need more information, have done many different flavors of this in my career from integrated to standalone to full blown Rockwell PlantPAx system.

The idea that "process control" and I'm guessing "discrete" control would go into labeled systems is uncalled for in today's world. What I mean by that is did an entire pulp mill with all of its analog control and discrete control including advanced control, historians, trending, reporting etc, all "DCS" functions in Controllogix with SE (PlantPAx as the Rockwell marketers like to call it), all with predictive repeatable controls.

So again, this is a fairly large topic that really can't be answered in a couple paragraphs but YES you could do both More info would be needed, like is only the power staying Valmet? Do you have local support to work on the Valmet system? And so on.

Dave Ferguson
Senior Control Systems Engineer