FactoryTalk View Programming

W

Will

I'm developing an HMI for an AB PanelView Plus 700 that talks to a MicroLogix 1200.

I'm fairly new to HMI programming but I think I've mostly got the hang of the basics of FactoryTalk.

I need to be able to dynamically add a button (and link data to that button) to the HMI. Basically I want to have a button press one one display create a button on a different display linked with information inputted by the user to be used later. Is it as simple as setting a macro or does it require something else underneath the high level stuff?

I have a decent amount of coding experience in C and Python. And I have a way in Python that I can accomplish my goal here, but I'm having trouble getting something going with FT View as I just started using it recently. I'm lead to believe that a PanelView HMI can be programmed in VB. I haven't been able to figure a way to program the HMI in VB yet though. Is there a code guide or something out there that would set me in the right direction?

B

bob peterson

I don't know any way to dynamically add anything in a PV+. I don't think it does VB either.

I can't imagine any reason why you would even want to do such a thing. It's just not the normal way a plant floor HMI is handled.

Perhaps you could just tell us what it is you want to accomplish.

--
Bob

I'm controlling a integrated-control stepper motor with the MicroLogix. The position of the stepper motor is fed back through the PLC and PV+. There would be a bunch of preset positions on the stepper motor stored in memory but I need the ability to add a new position to the list of preset positioned to be used at a later time.

Another option I have is to have a whole bunch of buttons (more than I need) in the HMI already and just link the information to an existing button. But would I be able to link the position being read from the motor to an existing button?

B

bob peterson

I think I'd be inclined to use an index register in the PLC that can be changed from the PV to point to different registers in the PLC.

--
Bob

I think your best bet would be to utilize the Recipe Control within Factory Talk, which will give you the ability to save, copy and delete recipes with a variety of possible data registers.