Feedback on Tealware?

A

Allan Dow

Hi to All,

I'm new at this type of forum so be gentle with me :)

I currently use AB SLC500 PLCs but have found lately (the last 5 years) that their local technical support is effectively useless - "Is
the computer turned on sir", "yes we know that is a problem, just keep trying to reboot the application" and other such gems of wisdom.

A "new" product, at least to the Australian market has been shown to me from a US company called SoftPLC. The product is Tealware and appears to be an exact clone of the SLC500 with the instruction set of the PLC5 and the added advantage of C++ and Java programming in the PLC micro. My main problem is what the track record of this product is like. Cost is not an issue,
they are keen to match AB prices even with the discounts we receive, technical support might be an issue, but at the very least it could not be any worse than the current level of support and in
general we have a high level of understanding with the SLC500.

So the big question for my distinguished colleagues is "What is the Tealware PLC by SoftPLC like". What is the feel from other users? If given a reasonably positive response it is my intention to give one a try.

Cheers
Allan Dow
Embedded Systems & Solutions

R

R A Peterson

------- Forwarded message follows -------
Subject: Re: SOFT: Feedback on Tealware?
To: [email protected]
Its sort of sad the route their tech support has taken. It used to be that AB had top notch tech support. You could call there with a problem and
in a few hours it was typically resolved. Now it seems that if you call you get phone answerers working off cue cards. Once you have exhausted the stock answers which may take a while, you get to the real tech support people who actually know. I suspect AB has taken this approach to cut costs. maybe they had no choice. They may have had to take this approach to reduce the
number of "real" problem calls that get through to the "real" tech support people. Not to denigrate the phone answerers, but its sort of annoying to have to get past these guys to get to someone who can actually help. I don't
generally call for my health, its cause I have a real problem. They may have just gotten so many people with limited PLC and/or AB expereince calling tech support that they had to filter the calls. I can remember not all that long ago having product design managers calling me back helping me with strange problems discovered in newer cards.

In our area though, our distributor has their own tech support for AB stuff. Englewood Electric has what they call tech-411. The people there are as
sharp as the old AB tech support people used to be, and generally have quick answers to problems. They even have a toll free number that I will reveal for a small fee. :)

It used to be you could even call the local AB offices and get some local support as well. The local office in Rockford had a guy there who was quite good, but he has since been retired off and now it is just salesman there.

For reasons that don't make much sense to me, it seems like you do better to file your problems by email with AB tech support. You seem to get better and faster answers that way. maybe its just my imagination, or good luck but I have filed my last couple questions that way and got very prompt answers.

J

Jerry Holzer

I can't speak for Tealware, which is basically softPLC's proprietary hardware, but I can speak very highly of softPLC itself. This is a emulated
AB PLC/5 kernel that runs on a PC. It's faster than a PLC/5, more versatile and costs a lot less. What you will not get is a programming environment for the faint of heart...especially if you have been spoiled by using RSLogix.
You can, however, import rungs written in RSlogix directly into softPLC if you know a few tricks.
I don't know about support "down under" but we have been very happy with the responsiveness of the support we get for this product in the USA; I have never once been asked for a serial number, nor have I been given a case number and had to wait days for a callback. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Jerry Holzer
R&D Electrical Engineer
Curt G. Joa, Inc - Boynton Beach, FL

--------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this message may not be consistent with the
views or policies of my employer,
Curt G. Joa, Inc.

D

Dan Perrier, Automated Control Systems,

Allan,

I have been using SoftPLC for about 2-1/2 years on hydroelectric power projects in the NorthWest United States. We have installed over 40 SoftPLC's to date with 60 more to go on this project. When the project is complete the SoftPLCs will be controlling over 8,700 MW of power generation. This could easily go to 16,000 MW if additional funding is appropriated for other facilities. I can't find enough good things to say about the product. It was the only PC based control product that I have tested that combines PLC reliability and functionality (on-line programming, IO forcing, etc.) with PC expandability. The ability to integrate other IO products (MTL in our case) with the product and to easily connect with other devices has proven to be extremely valuable.

The service has been outstanding and the ability to extend the PLC-5 instruction set with C/C++ programs has saved the client a great deal of money. It also makes the maintenance of the systems easier since we can make a single instruction that handles advanced math calculations rather than have hundreds of rungs of relay ladder logic to worry about. ACS is currently working on another project to replace 4 existing AB PLC-5/80s with SoftPLCs. This replacement is required due to the memory and program size limitations of the 5/80's and the difficulty of communicating with serial devices. We will be able to directly import the AB program into the SoftPLC and will then be able to continue with their planned expansion. ACS is also currently using the Tealware product for the first time for a press control project. I don't expect any difficulty in the development or installation.

I hope that this has helped.

Regards,

Dan Perrier, P.E.
Automated Control Systems, Inc
Portland, OR

E

Enrico Guasco

Hi Alan,
we normally use SoftPLC in our applications in Italy with great results, we also use Web Server option for data monitoring and acquisition.
Tealware is the perfect and proven HW for SoftPLC, a 486DX4 100 with embedded ethernet and the possibily to use PC104 expansion boards or the
Web Server option, RIO systems etc. Another thing to say is I'm from Italy and USA is far away, so support is basic and SoftPLC provides us for all the support we need, very little indeed but "they 're there when we need them"
Regards
Enrico Guasco

Tex.El. di Guasco Enrico
Borgata Ricca, 6
-13822- Mosso (Bi)
Tel. +39,015,702972
fax +39,015,7011935
Mobile 0348,2644838

J

Jeremy Pollard

Delays delays delays. I feel like I'm in a time capsule sometimes.....

IMHO - using other peoples opinions to determine whether you should or shouldn't use a product or technology is double edged. The ONLY real way of
finding out is for yourself. Using other peoples opinions and feeling toward a prodcut is helpful in confirming your own.

I would urge you to try the/any product/technology. SoftPLC is tested, 'old' - technology of almost 10 years, reliable, inexpensive, and easy. Worth a shot?

In Tealware's case- even tho the software id DOS based, it is very functional and has features in it that RSLogix500 doesn';t have. Windows a
good product doesn't make. It's the features man!!

For the record, I still like windows based stuff better tho. But how many go back to the AI software for features they are missing?

Cheers from:

Jeremy Pollard, CET
[email protected]
On The Web - http://www.tsuonline.com
PLCopen North America - [email protected] www.PLCopen.org
the Training Factory, Inc.
Programmable Controller Support Systems
The Software User Newsletter ONLINE
The Crazy Canuckian!
8 Vine Crescent, Barrie, Ontario L4N 2B3
705.739.7155 Fax 705.739.7157

Please don't mistake my comment as a recommendation for window based packages in general. Unfortunately, the reality is that the majority of us work in a Windows based environment. The use of DOS based packages through
DOS windows is not always successful (eg. AB's PBase software, Deutz TEM). This therefore leaves the user needing to change between two ops systems
for total realibilty (a real pain).

I struggle with a P3, NT based system everday at the company I currently consult to, and if I don't have at least 2 crashes a day then I phone the IT department and ask what is wrong with my computer. I find it quite amusing that some people actually believe this is a stable platform. :) :)

Cheers
Allan Dow
Embedded Systems & Solutions

------- Forwarded message follows -------

Delays delays delays. I feel like I'm in a time capsule sometimes.....

IMHO - using other peoples opinions to determine whether you should or
shouldn't use a product or technology is double edged. The ONLY real way
of finding out is for yourself. Using other peoples opinions and feeling toward a prodcut is helpful in confirming your own.

I would urge you to try the/any product/technology. SoftPLC is tested,
'old' - technology of almost 10 years, reliable, inexpensive, and easy.
Worth a shot?

In Tealware's case- even tho the software id DOS based, it is very
functional and has features in it that RSLogix500 doesn';t have. Windows a
good product doesn't make. It's the features man!!

For the record, I still like windows based stuff better tho. But how many
go back to the AI software for features they are missing?...<clip>