Field communicator

Currently i have BT200 from yokogawa, since it not universal i'm looking for new hart comm device. Is there any recomendation for under $7k? Like emerson 745 or fluke etc?

Two choices I'm aware of for HART comm with field instruments for configuration and troubleshooting

1. Meriam 5150 is a full blown HART handheld communicator. Choice a general purpose or Class 1, Div 1 hazardous area models. out of the box it includes all the HART DDs as of the last quarterly release.

Updates to DD files are free, downloaded from Meriam's web site. I would buy a new SD card with the entire DD library for $200 USD every 2 years because it so easy to swap out SD cards.

Touch screen and buttons. Rechargeable batteries. I believe that Yokogawa private labels the Meriam and it comes in a different color. I've used one hundreds of times. It works.

I think a general purpose model was about $5k USD 4 years ago.

2. Pactware and a USB/HART modem
Windows application software, Pactware, is a free download from Krohne or Vega. Connection to the transmitter is via a USB/HART modem.

I seem to recall that I had to download a HART driver from a German web site and install it. Pactware does not include any DTM files, which are not the same as DD files. Not all instrument vendors issue DTM files for their HART field devices, but they all seem to issue DD files, so there might be some instruments for which Pactware will not have device specific communication.

There's no support for Pactware - you on your own, but that's what you get for freeware. Not even a manual. Creating a project is totally non-intuitive 21 step (give or take) process with lots of right clicks and selects.

Pactware running on a laptop with USB/HART modem is not going to be useable in a hazardous area situation.

Siemens field instruments requires a 'universal' Siemens DTM driver file for any of their DTM device specific files to run at all.

I used the Mactek USB HART modem because the software included a very convenient "test mode" that would read the HART primary variable every second and display it, proving that the software/laptop was connected and that the software could 'see' and communicate with the field device.

Currently i have BT200 from yokogawa, since it not universal i'm looking for new hart comm device. Is there any recomendation for under $7k? Like emerson 745 or fluke etc?
Go to Emerson for Hart. The Hart Communicator is priced by how much you want to do. A 475 can be updated on line to add additional communication devices. Hart doesn't have every item in its database either.
If you by 2nd party, they still have to be updated to the device you are trying to communicate with. Pactware is a Vega add on for that purpose.
Sorry to say there is No standard because New products don't get added to the database of the Hart until you get it updated.
Hart is also a pain because they have never made it easy to transfer files in to any database. They want you to buy their aim system for all that. As stated from the beginnings, The more Hart you want, the more money. I bought the base 475 for like $4000 in 2018 and just used it in the Field.
I worked in Lakeland, FL (City of Lakeland Power Plant) before I retired in Feb 2020..Good Luck..

Please note what Emerson says on their own website - the 475 product AND its support have been discontinued.

The way I read it, DD file updates are no longer supported.

https://www.emerson.com/en-us/catalog/ams-475-field-communicator

View attachment 1833
Dave, I've seen that before. It's also them telling you that hey, buy our 575 or the new TDEX or whatever it's calked. They had a 575 because our salesman showed us a demo on it.. I've a Salesman where I worked that was able to get us info on a 475 before I left.. I stated I've been gone called. Almost 2 years so I appreciate the Update. I'll still stick with buy what you can afford and what you need. Was just trying to layout if you want a ton of data it's gonna cost lots more. I'f your just looking for Calibrations, you can hit the mark he was showing $7K..Take care, Bob

Dave, I've seen that before. It's also them telling you that hey, buy our 575 or the new TDEX or whatever it's calked. They had a 575 because our salesman showed us a demo on it.. I've a Salesman where I worked that was able to get us info on a 475 before I left.. I stated I've been gone called. Almost 2 years so I appreciate the Update. I'll still stick with buy what you can afford and what you need. Was just trying to layout if you want a ton of data it's gonna cost lots more. I'f your just looking for Calibrations, you can hit the mark he was showing $7K..Take care, Bob
It got named AMS Trex Looks like they are doing trade ups for your old 475..Glad it's not me having that headache anymore with Emerson.. https://www.emerson.com/en-us/autom...ML3lMCJnhcVGuP9w7mJd_sG0mGlqyqbQaAu0rEALw_wcB

i've come to a conclusion, is it better to buy a HART modem & software?
i mean almost all the old transmitter in my plant are YOKOGAWA using BRAIN Protocols (80%) the other are rosemount with HART, and i've ask both yokogawa and emerson representative they give different answer, first yokogawa claim that their transmitter using BRAIN protocols, are not compatible with hart communicator. second when i ask the emerson, they said the AMS Trex are compatible with YOKOGAWA.
They even give me the list of yokogawa supported device like EJA and EJX series, which i have in the plant (using BRAIN Protocols).
And now im confused which to choose, is it better to buy a rugged tablet pc and yokogawa fieldmate (modem that support HART and BRAIN) which is cheaper?, or should i choose Handheld with HART?

Your own comments reveal that the HART and BRAIN protocols are NOT interchangeable. I would be shocked to discover that the Trex supports the BRAIN protocol. The word BRAIN does not appear in the Trex spec/product sheet. BRAIN is not an Emerson protocol (like HART is) so there is no financial incentive for Emerson to support an installed instrument base of a competitor's proprietary protocol.

The Emerson statement undoubtedly means Trex supports current Yokogawa EJA or EJX series that use the HART protocol. It does not mean that Trex supports the BRAIN protocol. Show me in writing (not some sale guy on the phone) where Emerson says Trex supports BRAIN protocol. You can't.

Yokogawa packages all their DTM files into a single, large download file.
https://www.yokogawa.com/library/documents-downloads/software/yokogawa-dtm-hart/
I don't know the distinction between Fieldware (a licensed product) DTM's and Pactware DTM's and one needs Fieldware membership to find out.

But for the cost of HART modem you can download the DTM file and try Pactware with your installed base or read the readme file in the DTM package to see which specific instrument models are covered. (You will also need that German based HART driver for Pactware)