File Handling through Micro Controller

P

Prem Sanil

My Micro Controller (STM32l100) needs to do file Handling Operations on PC (Creating files and adding text) through serial communication (USART).

Presently able to do communication with Hyper Terminal (Micro Controller connected to PC via COM Port), but how to achieve file Handling on PC?

C

Curt Wuollet

You would need some sort of software as a command interpreter like command.com from the DOS days then redirect it's input to the comm port. I've never worked with Windows from a terminal, but that's essentially what you need to do. It would be effortless with Linux or another *nix as they have a terminal discipline as standard equipment and you would simply send commands as if you were building a shell script. I should think the command prompt box in Windows could be used the same way if you can figure out how to point it at the com port.I'll bet if you check out the pages for wince there would be methods for a headless box which would imply a serial port discipline of some sort. If all else fails you could write something, but that would be reinventing the wheel. Or you _could_ simply use Linux and be done now.

Regards
cww

P
ya i know through Linux is less complicated to achieve this, but my Application needs to do this with windows only. or else is it possible to just send data to pc (text file which consist of data form the micro controller stm32l100)? the communication medium is USB (Virtual com port, which will act as serial communication. how do I do just only send a text?

C

Curt Wuollet

If all you want to do is capture text, that can be done with a terminal emulator. Most have a capture feature.

Regards
cww