Fire Proof of Actuator

• Thread starter Bakulesh Vadgama
  • Start date
B

Bakulesh Vadgama

What method's are followed in Refinary for Fire proofing Single Actuating actuator, in case of Emergency Shut Down Valve (Depressurizing, Safety, Fuel Isolation, Pump Isolation etc)?

Are they fireproofed OR other method such as FUSIBLE PLUG used to make valve Fail Safe during Fire?

In case, if application requires valve to operate in Fire, what methodology is adopted ?

The ones I have worked with use a fireproof blanket wrap on the actuator/motor and have mineral insulated copper clad cable (for power and control).

Hugo

B

Bakulesh Vadgama

Hugo,

Thanks for your feedback.

My query was what type of Fireproof methodolgy is being adopted for the Single Acting Actuator, which is required to operate in Fire as per guideline API RP 533 (Section 7.5.2)

- Bakulesh

C

Charles Richard

I dont know the details of the API guidelines you are refering to, but you may want to Google the following companies:

KMASS Coatings - This is the standard coating I have seen for "fireproof" valves in refineries. It looks like pepto bismol paint, but when the heat hits it it expands to encapsulate the actuator.

UNITHERM Blankets - They make an alternative to KMASS that is a removable blanket design.

RIETH CORP - They sell fusable plugs that are installed in three way fitting located in the actuator air tubing. The plug melts at "low" temperatures to insure valve closure in case of fire.

Note that the springs in your actuator will lose tension if the fire lasts long enough so no matter what method you use it will only last so long before the valve will start leaking by.

Hope this helps!

Charles

M

Matthew Turner

> KMASS Coatings - This is the standard coating I have seen for "fireproof"
> valves in refineries. It looks like pepto bismol paint, but when the heat
> hits it it expands to encapsulate the actuator.

Thermal Designs, Inc., in Houston, Texas is the sole manufacturer and supplier of K-Mass(tm) coating. The color purple is simply the external top coat which according to Saudi Aramco specification should be a color other than an official "safety" color. Hence, purple was selected to identify. The actual material itself is 15mm thick, permanently bonded to the parts of the actuator, allowing disassembly and reassembly for maintenance, etc. K-Mass (tm) expands to form a char, which is also insulative. The intention is not to "encapsulate" so much as to protect. Which it does, and we test our materials in a 120,000 BTU furnace with four 3" burners.. not some Bunsen burner test.

I dont know the details of the API guidelines you are refering to, but you may want to Google the following companies:

KMASS Coatings - This is the standard coating I have seen for "fireproof" valves in refineries. It looks like pepto bismol paint, but when the heat hits it it expands to encapsulate the actuator.

UNITHERM Blankets - They make an alternative to KMASS that is a removable blanket design.

RIETH CORP - They sell fusable plugs that are installed in three way fitting located in the actuator air tubing. The plug melts at "low" temperatures to insure valve closure in case of fire.

Note that the springs in your actuator will lose tension if the fire lasts long enough so no matter what method you use it will only last so long before the valve will start leaking by.

Hope this helps!

Charles
I suggest to conisder Benarx Epoxy Box as the fireproofing of the actuators and the valves.
Epoxy intumenscet type box. Lightweight, removable and robust solution for long durability purposes.
We fireproofed a lot of actuators from major brands (Bernadard Controls, Rotork, DVG, KOSVO, Emerson, Biffi, IMI, ProControl, ATV and many others).
It has been used at different weather conditions (hot, cold, artic, wet, tropic, moonsoon, cyclon conditions and offshore spalshing zone)on the projects worldwide. Extensivley tested up against different fire regimes (jet fire, Pool fire) and others conditions (Cryogenic cold spil, static electrical discharge, ageing, explosion, acoustic etc.)
Most of the oil majors have used these products.
We can present you multiples ways how to improve the project economy and improve lead-time with using new technology and an innovation like 3D scanning and VR.
For more info and the pictures, send me email:
[email protected]