Flow measurement principles

S

Sherman

Hi I would like to know the difference between volumetric and massic flow measurement. There are plenty of options in the market but I would like to know which one is better, and the operating principle.

J
There is no simple answer to "which one is better" If there were such an answer then one or other would have achieved obsolescence by now.

The best that can be done is to be sure that you understand the difference and define your election criteria to test against each instrument you consider.

If you decide you need mass flow then remember that Mass flow measurement can be achieved in a variety of ways.

If you would like more specific advice, then I suggest that you offer some application details and objectives.

Mass flow typically compensates for changes in P & T. For gasses this is a big deal, for liquids, not so much because your density doesn't vary a whole lot. Another thing to consider is what you are after as far as flows say lb/hr or kg/hr or ft3/min or acfm?

Not to confuse the matter further, but BASE volumetric is Mass. Rosemount has a 3095 multi-variable device that dynamically compensates for P&T changes as well as has the capability of providing you the other variables as outputs as well (P & T).

Hope this helps.

Roley