Flying Shear

I

Ian Coullie

I wonder if any one can point me in the direction of any documentation regarding flying shear control. I almost understand the principal. I need to upgrade two sheeting machines with currently fitted with old technology. It is required that the existing dc drives are retained.

Ian,

I just did one using a Siemens T400 board with
the SPS450 software. It is possible to use this
board with the SRT400 subrack and keep your exiting drive. Is this a rotary or a flying blade knife, regardless--the above technology will do it. Siemens also has an FM357 module for the S7300 PLC. This will do the job also.
Talk to you Siemens distributor for more info.

If the dc drives are for pulling the sheet, you can retain them. But the shear must be better driven by servo. The servo will be a slave axis
catching up and synchronises with the sheet (master axis).

If you want to know more details on how to implement the control system, please write to me: [email protected]

B

Bob Peterson

Most motion control companies have experience with this, even to the point of having systems setup to do it that you can buy off the shelf.

Bob Peterson

S

Steve Bailey

What type of material are you sheeting?

If it's paper, I'd suggest looking through TAPPI publications. You could also try contacting the OEMs that make the sheeting machines for the material you're working with. For paper, OEMs involved in sheeting include ECH Will, Bielomatik, and Jagenberg.