Gas detectors

I

instruguy

Hi,

I am working on a offshore project. Existing gas detectors will be replaced with new ones due to upgrade philosophy by client. However, client wants to replace existing detectors without shutdown of platform (as far as possible). What are ways and methods i.e.strategies implemented in such situations? Thanks.

R

Randy Jakosalem

Hi

There are many approach on your problem but the best and safest way is to ask for a shutdown

But if your company would really not allow you to have shutdown then you have to do it in manual mode. There is what we call "take it where you leave it". This means that you must record the positions and actuations on all your actuators and drives that run on your system during a stable condition or normal good running condition. If allowed by the your control system philosophy, you can go manual mode on each and every points or process one by one where you replace the sensors and set the actuators in manual adjust on the position you have recorded previously. Be sure that your sensors and transmitters are calibrated the same as the existing ones before you can have it back to automatic mode.

Another approach is to have a process variable simulator. Here you to inject to the process variable input channels, the simulated signal of a normal running conditions. then you can work on the replacement of the sensors.

This would work if your process variable are not so erratic but if it is then a shutdown should be needed to install the new upgrade.

Another approach is for your company to have proper scheduling and production planning that would include the shutdown you need to install the new system.

HOpe that you get what I mean.

randy